I have a feeling that my friend is using again...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I have a feeling that my friend is using again...

Hi, I'm a 15 year old girl and at the beginning of the school I met a 17 year old boy, we quickly became best friends. He's a great person, and is an awesome friend of mine. From what I know about him, he use to live in another state with his father and several of his other brothers. He caused a lot of trouble there and was sent to live with his mother in my state. To me he has never elaborated on the extent of trouble that he got himself into, he only told me that he stole a lot but I've learned from one of his good friends that it was mainly due to drugs; and that he has used heroin before, and that his mother was also a heavy drug user. When he moved to my state, 2 years ago he got clean for awhile, made some new friends here and everything was good. Now, he stayed back a grade doesn't have many friends and has a very stressful life(mother is divorced, constantly in fights with mom's boyfriend, getting kicked out of his house etc.) and I'm pretty certain that he is starting to get back into drugs. He always smoked cigarettes but now his smoking has increased a lot, he steals money from his mother all the time, we use to hang out at his house every weekend; now he's always making excuses about why he can't hang out on weekends to avoid any of his friends visiting his house, he comes to school smelling like smoke, he stays up all night for days in a row; and then will sleep for days straight after that, he has rapid mood swings, he'll get in strange moods when he's really fidgety (uncontrolled tapping his foot, has to walk around at lunch several times pacing the hallways), he has unexplained cuts/scratches covering his arms, admits that in the past weekend he's done things with his band that he shouldn't have done; but wont elaborate on this and he is constantly in trouble at school, always skipping classes and is going to have to repeat his current grade again.

-Are these signs of a possible drug addiction?
-How should I go about asking him about this without him getting mad/defensive, we haven't been friends for that long but I feel there is nobody else to help him?
-If he does admit that hes up to something, what should I say/do?
-Anything else I should know about dealing with somebody like this?

Thanks so much, I hope that you guys can offer advice on this subject for me, as it would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You probably won't like it, but my advice is to RUN, RUN, RUN! You admit you haven't known this guy for very long, yet you have given a laundry list of bad behaviors he engages in. Whether or not he is using again, he doesn't sound like someone who would be a positive influence in your life.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PLEASE talk to the school counselor and then distance yourself like the others suggested. You won't be abandoning your friend, you'll be putting him in the hands of people better equipped to help him.

I have to say it again, please talk to the counselor. That he's underage, being kicked out, skipping school, and possibly in an environment of addiction is flat out wrong and unhealthy.

Once he turns 18 he will have only himself to help him, along with jail and hospitals.

You have an opportunity to do the right thing, please take it and God bless you for caring.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

-Are these signs of a possible drug addiction?
Yes these are signs of drug addiction.
-How should I go about asking him about this without him getting mad/defensive, we haven't been friends for that long but I feel there is nobody else to help him?
You can't control whether or not he gets mad or defensive about this. If you bring it up theres a good chance he will get mad/defensive and there is nothing you can do to control that.
-If he does admit that hes up to something, what should I say/do?
The best thing to do is draw boundaries for YOU about the kind of behavior that you will allow in your life. What are YOUR values? Do you want to be a drug addict or lead that kind of lifestyle?

Then you are going to have to make the tough choice to walk away (cuz you can't fix him).

-Anything else I should know about dealing with somebody like this?

You didn't cause it. You can't control it. You can't cure it.
There is a great stickie at the top of the forum page called "what addict do." It written by a guy name Jon. Read it.

And take care of yourself! I hope you don't waste the best years of your life chasing drug addicts. I did. And now I'm 40. And I totally regret it now.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Maybe the best place for your friend isn't with his mom. As others have suggested please talk to a counselor. They really have the means to help. I hate to see you getting dragged down trying to help someone .........addiction is tough ....hugs hon, Bonnie