What is this??

Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is this??

I've noticed when ad is here that she seems to zone out. I can be talking to her and then I loose eye contact and it's as though she "is some where else". My gd brought it up to me yesterday so apparently she notices it also. She said she can be talking to her and then she"ll have to say "Mom, Mom, are you listening? What is that? can someone help me out? Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That reminds me of my daughter on xanax.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
That reminds me of my daughter on xanax.
me too.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found out the mid of Feb. That she relapsed on crack. She told me about 5x (like addicts count!) She told me in tears she was all done. Her behaviors tell a different story. Does crack do this also? I don't remember her like this before when she used for 4 years. She may have switched to something else as she is on probation and could it be the prescription drugs are harder to detect with a urine check?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She may be self medicating with a different drug because of crack side effects. She may be in a deep depression. There are so many possibilities. Prescription drugs will show up in a screen depending on how recently they were taken.

Have you asked her about it when it happens? When my daughter abused xanax she had no idea she was zoning out.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I,ve thought about mentioning it to her, but i feel her reaction will be indifference. And if it is due to drugs, she will never admit it. I don,t hear from her until weekends and then she'll call to ask about her girls, but when she is here she doesn't do anything with them. She always seems to be somewhere else, to busy on the phone or checking out the computer. Sometimes she doesn't even show up.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are the girls getting anything positive out of their mom's visits?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Many drugs cause the nodding out thing. Chino asked a GREAT question. Also can you get her tested to find out for sure?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After being up for three days smoking crack, I was often "somewhere else" mentally when I was coming down or hadn't slept for three days.

How is this effecting you? You didn't cause it. you can't control it. You can't change it or fix it. You can try to eliminate the effects of it on your life - and possible on her daughters life if you have custody of them. What are your boundaries?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ii do have custody of the girls. The 15 yr. old knows her mom is using again. She does not want me to confront her as she said her mom will just lie and then there will be arguments. It,s hard to put up boundaries as they talk by phone numerous times and its important for the gd. I have talked to ad about "being her best friend" and to find one her own age, but it didn't do any good. I would like there to be NO contact but the gd would not handle that as she went to many years without knowing where mom was. It,s a tough situation to be in.