SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Some Things Never Change (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/197325-some-things-never-change.html)

katie44 03-23-2010 08:11 AM

Some Things Never Change

I was just on this site a couple of weeks ago about how AS keeps beating the justice system and has only received a slap on the hands.
The police called me yesterday, turns out they are compiling a whole list of criminal charges against him over the last 8 months.
Tuurns out he has been handing out my business cards down town
with fradluent cheques and getting people to cash them, also putting empty envelopes in to bank machines and withdrawing cash. Who knows what else he has done. The police said they had numerous charges against him but could not discuss them with me. It all makes me so sick. He is so handsome and looks put together I could see him conning innocent people out there hard earned money. He called me yesterday I havent told him there was a warrant for his arrest. He was crying. The same old crap again. He's hungry, getting kicked out of his apartment, the list goes on and on.
I just told him to fix his own problems and hung up on him. Dont know why Im posting this today. I feel ill over the way he lives and what he has done to people.

suki44883 03-23-2010 08:22 AM

((((Katie)))) :grouphug:

I'm so sorry your son is making such bad decisions. You were right to tell him to fix his own problems. We can't save them, much as we wish we could.

Hang in there, sweetie.

BBD 03-23-2010 08:22 AM

Hi katie, I feel so badly for you but at this point theres nothing you can do but pray that he does get arrested. Without help in the wings he just may face his mistakes and hopefully wake up. Its so sad that things have to get horrible before the wake-up process starts. Its not up to you hon~~~so let nature take its course and pray for some serenity. Big hugs, Bonnie

JMFburns 03-23-2010 12:18 PM

Katie,

I LOVE my son and when he appears to be staying sober, I feel bad about the legal issues that are hanging over his head (3 warrants - writing bad check, theft by swindle for "selling" my car w/out my permission (and it had a loan open!) and failure to complete a year long probation w/random drug tests) but then when I think back to what he was doing, how crazy his behavior was - he acutally did those things and will have to deal with the consequences. When he does, it will be a sign of his progress, his independence - I imagine how good it would make me feel take care of something like that. But, I'm not him and can't even assume what it will mean for him.

You've been pretty realistic and strong in your boundaries, keep up the good work.

ladyhawk69 03-23-2010 05:16 PM

I know you love your son and would do anything for him. Just be careful you don't pay any of his debts no matter who they are to! He will definately not learn anything about consequences if you do. Good luck and God bless!!

Ann 03-23-2010 05:37 PM

Rule number one for mamas...Lock up your check book, your valuables, jewelry, bank cards and medications. I will add business cards to the list.

Also, change the locks.

Katie, it made me sick too when my son did it. Sick enough to get to a meeting and learn how to stop feeding his addiction. Sick enough to give him to God because I could not do one more day of it.

Keeping you and your boy in my prayers Katie. It ends when you say it ends.

Hugs

coffeedrinker 03-23-2010 05:57 PM

Katie, I am so sorry it sounds very painful. And then when your wound gets a scab and it gets ripped off by new findings....a terrible cycle.

Glad you didn't buy into his drama -- not that it isn't real, but what can you do? Nothing, or enable.

Sorry again.

Impurrfect 03-23-2010 06:40 PM

((Katie)) - I'm sorry you feel ill, but sweetie YOU didn't do these things. I hope that he finally has to pay some consequences for his actions, spend a bit of time with "3 hots and a cot", and that you get some peace and serenity.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Carol Star 03-23-2010 06:44 PM

Someday he will be glad you didn't save him. I look back at how I visited my AH in jail.....I hated driving there an hour away, seeing him looking horrible in the orange suit. He was blaming everybody else, the cops, the judge......blah, blah, blah......now I think WHY DID I GO? I hated going. I was just a code. He is now my X. He never learned a darn thing. I did enable. I wouldn't now though. I have wised up.

tjp613 03-23-2010 07:28 PM

(((Katie))) I feel ya, sister. I had some very disappointing news about my AS today, too.

Guess it's time to gird up for some tough times ahead. Thank goodness we have the forum here at SoberRecovery among people who understand. It's hard.

XOXO

Spiritual Seeker 03-23-2010 08:33 PM

Katie, Cyber hugs to you...cause you deserve it !
Nothing tougher than watching your child lose the battle w/ drugs.
May you find a nugget of serenity today

katie44 03-24-2010 10:59 AM

3 hots and a cot maybe be good for him. At least I know he is safe. Thought I had become one step ahead of him, got me again with the business cards. it never seizes to amaze me how ingenuise they can be at times. Hopefully one day he will put his skills to a better use. He had always stolen from his family guess when we cut him off his new targets became innocent people. I know it is the addiction. He seems to have no remorse always some one elses fault.