Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - March 22 - Letting Go Of Being a Victim

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Go of Being a Victim

It's okay to have a good day. Really.

It's okay to be doing okay and to feel like our life is manageable and on track.

Many of us have learned, as part of our survival behaviors, that the way to get the attention and approval we want is to be victims. If life is awful, too difficult, unmanageable, too hard, unfair, then others will accept, like, and approve of us, we think.

We may have learned this from living and associating with people who also learned to survive by being a victim.

We are not victims. We do not need to be victimized. We do not need to be helpless and out of control to get the attention and love we desire. In fact, the kind of love we are seeking cannot be obtained that way.

We can get the love we really want and need by only owning our power. We learn that we can stand on our own two feet, even though it sometimes feels good to lean a little. We learn that the people we are leaning on are not holding us up. They are standing next to us.

We all have bad days -- days when things are not going the way we'd like, days when we have feelings of sadness and fear. But we can deal with our bad days and darker feelings in ways that reflect self-responsibility rather than victimization.

It's okay to have a good day too. We might not have as much to talk about, but we'll have more to enjoy.

God, help me let go of my need to be a victim. Help me let go of my belief that to be loved and get attention I need to be a victim. Surround me with people who love me when I own my power. Help me start having good days and enjoying them.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When I lived in the problem of my son's addiction and my codependency, I remained a victim.

When I moved into the solution, my recovery, I became a survivor and life became worth living once more.

Hugs