Would It Help to go to NarcAnon?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would It Help to go to NarcAnon?

Greetings Folks

So glad to have found this site.

I have been dating an addict for 5 months. He has been in recovery for a year and a half and recently has asked me for "space". I have given it to him. I do not want to do anything to threaten his sobriety.

I am challenged by his seemingly varied moods...hot to cold, elated to scared and realize now that this is part of his recovery and has nothing to do with me.

I am wondering if it would help me and him to go to NarcAnon meetings? Should I attend or just let HIM recover? Should I share that I am going with him or will it freak him out? I don't want to impose...would like to support his recovery and really just want to understand and support him.

No one in his family and none of his non addict friends have ever attended these meetings to my knowledge...seems critical to me but since I have zero experience I need your advice
Old 03-06-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of all, welcome to SR!

I'd like to clarify something for you. Narcanon is associated with the church of Scientology.

I believe what you are wanting to look at is Naranon, which is for the friends/family of addicts. There is a difference.

I have found that the best support that I can be for anyone else, regardless of the circumstances, is to take care of me first and foremost.

I live in an area where Naranon is non-existant, but Alanon has been a lifesaver for me over the years.

I have a 32 year old addict/alcoholic daughter, and I was also married to an addict/alcoholic.

Alanon taught me a whole new way to live.

Please know you are among friends here, and I hope you continue to post!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it always helps to do something healthy for yourself. yes, go to al-anon or nar-anon.
and yes, let him know - why wouldn't you? i'm sure he would be glad. but that's not the reason to go. keep coming here to s/r.
welcome.