Mom of 22 yr. old user needs advice and prayers

Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Mom of 22 yr. old user needs advice and prayers

I just found out, (literally found the crystal meth), that my son is using. He has broke out with a boil like rash that looks like a staph infection, possibly MRSA. I gave him Benedryl not knowing what it was, for the itching as he is opening up the blisters and pushing out the pus. It has spread all over his body and his muscles are aching terribly. One of his lovely druggie friends has given him some type of pain patches and I think we need to take him to the doctor. What do you all think? He is 22 and a scrawny 130 pounds at 5'9" tall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Definitely take him to the doctor. We aren't medical experts and can't give medical advice, but a doctor would be able to tell you what he has and how to take care of it.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

take him to the emergency room. the pain patches he's wearing are illegal if they're not prescribed to your son. The emergency room will most likely tell you what else is in his system, express your concerns and keep posting here. We are a loving family at SR! A rehab center is an option. Have you considered asking him to go?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Definitely take him to the dr. or an ER. If you're thinking it's MRSA, that is nothing to fool around with. I got it as a nurse, prior to my addiction, but it flared up twice while I was using crack and I ended up hospitalized...nothing to fool around with. The pain patches are illegal and too much can cause an OD...again, nothing to fool with.

I am a recovering addict as well as one who has loved ones who are addicts. You've come to a great place, full of supportive people.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

I'm hoping your at the ER and will report back soon. Welcome the SR~~we are here for you. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work in the medical field and vote that the emergency room is the best bet here. Hope that he is getting so help. I know that this must be scary for you. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

1st things 1st...get med. help

Then learn all you can about addiction and figure out what is you next best step with your son. If he lives w/ you protect your belongings, purse, and anything that can be pawned. Addicts Lie ! Don't expect the truth and denial is a symptom of addiction.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
work in progress

Addicts Lie ! Don't expect the truth and denial is a symptom of addiction.

....Even if he's your son. Hope he gets the medical treatment he needs, while we assist you in getting the emotional support you need.

Welcome to SR.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Take custody of that pain patch....doctors begin them at smaller doses and work their way up in strength because people can overdose and die.

Go to ER...we will be here when you return.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

my 22 yr. old son

Thank you EVRYONE for your support, quick responses and advice. We, my husband and I, told our son many times we think he atleast needs to go to the doctor and we would pay for the visit. He knows we are broke so he won't go but we told him if he goes to the ER they will write it off and he will owe nothing because he is unemployed. He would not go. He is making it sound like it is a sickness. I have many sites saved on my computer I am thinking about printing and leaving on his bed so he knows my hubby and I know what he is taking. I confiscated the stuff, needles and all, and he has not asked either one of us about the items. I don't think he wants to get into a conversation about them or confrontation with my husband who can be quite harsh when he gets stressed. So, I am trying to deal with this as much myself as possible. I did break down and tell my hubby, but I really did not want to because now I have to be the peacemaker between him and my son as well. Such is life.
On a good note, my son's rash is looking much better and his aching is going away despite him not wearing the patch now, which were about the size of gauze patches, he had a few of them. I was afraid of him overdosing as well. he got them from a friend who is or was a nurse.
Well, I wrote my son a long letter telling him we love him, that God has great plans for him and that we are to help and support his wise decisions. I said he needs help. I know it won;t mean anything to him now but maybe when he gets free of thee drugs he will understand what he was putting us through and that we were here for him. We are getting ready to move to Arizona in 9 days and I want to look up a treatment center in AZ for kids his age. Perhaps a residence he can stay at. I just want to get him on the trip with my husband and I to AZ and get out of this town. It has nothing good to offer him and he keeps coming up with reasons to stay, he can't handle his dad's stress, cant get his vehicles sold, etc. It's just leaving his contacts I believe is the main reason. I am not leaving him here, so our family pretty much remains on pins and needles. I have not slept much in weeks, so stressed out and just failed my math exam in college (I have 3 terms to get my Criminal Justice degree) and now I have pneumonia. But God has opened doors for my hubby and I to buy a home in AZ after just losing our current home we are leaving the 20th and going bankrupt, so we are so very thankful we have a home to go to in AZ and family there.
Thank you again SO VERY MUCH for all your support and concern for my family. If anyone here is a Christian, I would greatly appreciate the extra prayers right now if you think of us. I know God answers prayer and 2 or more put 10,000 angels to flight to fight for our family, too. Many blessings to you all.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((Destined))

Prayers coming your way. I did just want to mention that it is possible what he has may be contagious, so please keep this in mind. Many skin infections are.

Sometimes getting away from bad places and people can help, but he has to WANT to seek recovery. I'm not trying to discourage you, only pointing out that his recovery is his. We, on the other hand, can take care of ourselves and show them the life that they will want to come back to, should they continue on with the addiction.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is not a joke, the MRSA could kill him if that is what he has.

The pain patches are an entirely different story.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.