Pondering my recovery & a sponser

Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pondering my recovery & a sponser

I have been in Alanon for a couple of years now. It has been a lifesaver for me. However our group is young as many of us have not completed the steps yet. So none of us can really sponser yet as it is recommended that a sponser has completed the steps. I am the GR of the group basically because noone else really wanted it and my mother was the previous GR. But I love my group & they love me. And we are really growing.

I know I should prob be in Naranon because of my AH's drug addiction but Naranons aren't around here. The nearest one is 2 hours away. Alanon & Naranon are very similiar though so I feel comfortable within my Alanon group. Plus my dad & sister are both alcoholics so I definitly qualify for either. In my opinion they really should be one entity, so many people today are affected by both.

I attempted to start working the steps last year, my service sponser set me up with a lovely lady from a nearby group. She has been in Alanon for years & is more in tune with alcoholism and has very little experience in drug addiction. I didn't work with her long as she was uncomfortable with emails, which I prefer & I wasn't comfortable with having to try phone calls which she preferred and eventually due to that and constant crisis it got put on the back burner.

I feel the need to start working my steps again, I think it will help me work my recovery to the fullest. I hope to complete them and then be availible eventually to sponser someone who may come into our group who is like me.

But I feel I need a sponser. It's recommended to have one to help you navigate through the steps. Any suggestions? Theres bound to be someone like me, somewhere.

Thanks Teggie
Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hey Teggie,

I agree that it is best to work with a sponsor - the traditional face to face arrangement is of course the best - but it doesn't always work out that way.

There are several resources such as SR, chat rooms, on-line meetings etc. - maybe there is some one that you have connected to here that you feel comfortable working with that you can ask to be your on-line sponsor.

I know several use on-line sponsors and then eventually they use phone conversations if needed -

It has worked for me and several others that I know of.

As far as Al-Anon instead of Naranon - in the Al-Anon service manual - excuse me for not remembering what page - but it addresses the fact that several of our members may be dealing with family members that have drug addictions in addition or rather than alcoholism - it is suggested that we welcome them in our program as the program is about OUR recovery not the family members disease - how we have been affected - not the substance that is making THEIR life unmanagable.

Hope this helps you in your search for help in walking the path thru the Steps!!

HUGS,
Rita
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that you are smart to think outside the box in regards to a sponsor. Although I had an "in person" sponsor at one time I am now without a sponsor. And I have to say that the idea of an on-line sponsor is appealling to me....it's been hard for me to find the close connection in Alanon regarding understanding the issues of deal with drug addiction that I'd like. The recovery in Naranon is young and must people haven't finished the steps so I hear what you are saying.

I'm interested in learning more about on-line sponsors and if anyone on SR would be willing to have that sort of relationship? I know that I would.

Thanks -
Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks lightseeker, I knew there were more of us!