Interesting...

Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting...

Gosh just found this on the main Msn page....
Vancouver's experiment with helping addicts get high. (4) - By Matthew Power - Slate Magazine
very lovely! would love to hear your opinion.... I'm not too happy with this idea.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i did not read the entire piece as i have to leave. but, i think it feels icky. with that being said, alternative treatments probably always have a rocky start. look at methadone (something mentioned in the article) forty-some years after thousands - maybe millions - of document success, many, many folks are still very opposed. and i get why. i would think if this is going to occur, they need to manufacture it in a pill form, so it's one less step away from their old behavior.

the key issue here is HARM REDUCTION. with a program like this, would we be saving tax payer dollars, keeping the streets a little less crime-ridden, and follow the chain up from the neighborhood dealer: less crime and murders? certainly. does this justify doing it? not sure.

guess i'd have an open mind about it all and not take my initial "bristle" as the truth in the matter.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also, i don't like the sensational title. sensationalism is always utilized to elicit a strong emotional response, and always turns me off
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The War on Drugs has not been successful.

No one can recover unless they are determined to do so.

China is the only nation has been reasonably successful in eliminating drugs from their culture. They did so, with a zero tolerance policy and orders to shoot to kill. Even then, it took a few generations.

No nation can afford to incarerate and/ or rehab all chronic addicts, for eternity.

Harm Reduction is the future. What's the alternative?