Suboxone questions

Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone questions

My GF recently got on suboxone and it seems to be doing all that it could be...Long story short, supposedly you can't get high from opiates while on suboxone. Is this true? I'm sure an addict out there has tried and I would like to know the result.
Secondly, how long does it typically take for one to become physically dependent on subs? She started at 18mg but is currently on 4mg/day. I know this next question is very subjective, but here it is anyway...
How long does one typically stay on suboxone for? Once off subs does one typically find it easier to remain sober, or is it like before? I would be very grateful for any answers. Thank you very much.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

subs work as an opiate blocker in your brain. one cannot get high off an opiate if there is suboxone in their system. My bf just came home from rehab where they used subs to detox him from the opiates..he told me they gave him a pill and a half his 1st day, then 3/4 of one the next day. by the 4th or 5th day he was completely off the subs. You must be careful because Suboxones are also addicting. Did her doctor perscribe her these subs? She needs to ensure she takes them AS PERSCRIBED because as I said b4 they can also take hold of a person.

As far as being off subs making it easier to stay sober I cannot answer this question. Best of luck to you and your gf!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vanillapenguin View Post
subs work as an opiate blocker in your brain. one cannot get high off an opiate if there is suboxone in their system.
One can literally OD trying to get high off an opiate, when on Subs.

Far more common when the desire to get high is greater than the burning need to be sober is to use non opiate drugs and alcohol to do so. You know, the any port in a storm, approach.

There is no set time to stay on subs and the outcome is only as good as the effort the addict puts into their own recovery. If nothing changes,nothing changes.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Woog..the best person to answer your queries about dependency and length of treatment is your gfs Dr.

I can tell you that I've seen many posts here about people getting high while on subs, so it certainly is possible.

D
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as far as I know, suboxone is really addictive. I have few friends that used to be opiote addicts and now they are stuck on suboxone for few years. And they all think that its not a big deal at all. They know that if they quit they will go in withdrawls.....
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamAngel View Post
as far as I know, suboxone is really addictive. I have few friends that used to be opiote addicts and now they are stuck on suboxone for few years. And they all think that its not a big deal at all. They know that if they quit they will go in withdrawls.....
Subs and Methadone, when prescribed, are legal alternatives to opiates. Both are highly addictive in their own right. When used as prescribed, in absence of any other mood altering substance, there is no high. And then the hard part begins....learning to accept and live life as is, without being high.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our sticky on suboxone is mainly clinical but may answer some questions and counter some misapprehensions

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-suboxone.html

D
Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

woog,

outtolunch has posted true and correct info, in my opinion.

i started a thread entitled "cant get high on methadone?" (which is used similarly, as an opiate blocker) and it was a pretty good thread in that there were a lot of opinions posted therein....although some of them directly conflicted with each other. i did spot a couple of folks who seemed well-versed on the whole subject. anyway, you could peruse that one. also have you read through the "suboxone" forum here?

i have gotten myself quite a bit of an education on suboxone & methadone since my s/o asked if i would be supportive of him going on opiate replacement therapy (ort) some months ago. what i think i understand, is that the intense cravings often come into play because your receptors have been messed up by the drug use. some folks are on ort for many, many years, and some only while detoxing. your g/f needs to make informed decisions that she feels are right for her, and not make them based on other people pressuring her one way or the other, myths, what did or did not work from someone's cousin's friend, etc etc.

what are you doing to support her, may i ask? and what are you doing for yourself?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

My AH was addicted to opiates and went on Suboxone to help him get off.. That was a year and a half ago and he is still on suboxone and has no desire to come off. So basicly he has traded one drug for another and in my opinion is still as much of an addict as he was the day he went on subs. The reason I say this is because nothing has changed.. he still sleeps all day, works a couple of hours a night to make enough money to get by and every once in a while goes to a meeting in attempt to maybe pull the wool over his families eyes... because they are still enabling him and still in denial about him being an addict. My husband has even admitted that he has taken xanex while he has been on suboxone (which is a dangerous and stupid thing to do in itself as mixing benzo's and subs can be fatal).. so yes, you can abuse other drugs while on suboxone

I think Subs are a great tool for someone that wants to get clean and who is ready to get clean.. but they can be abused like any other drug and be used as a crutch like in the case of my AH.

You know it's sad.. my AH is 35 years old and takes more medication then some 85 year olds. His quack of a Dr. has him on all kinds of stuff for depression in addition to suboxone..

For me, I have about had enough.. I'm making plans to get out of this marriage because the bad outweighs the good and I'm wasting my time sitting around waiting for him to change.. and as long as he is doped up like this then he is not going to change..

Woog, get yourself to some alanon meetings and try not to worry about whether or not your GF can get high while using suboxone.. she is going to do what she is going to do. Her actions will speak the truth..
Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll try to answer most of the questions.
She was prescribed Suboxone, she is/was addicted to OXY/methadone for close to a year. For four of those months she was on Methadone treatment but, was relapsing on OXY a few times a month. Methadone really didn't help her.
She's now been on Suboxone for about 6 weeks, started at 18MG but is now taking only 4mg/day. She has not taken any other drugs, she agrees to and is proud to take **** tests whenever I feel like it.
Suboxone has made a ridiculous improvement in her. She really is back to herself. No mood swings, she has energy, she's not severly depressed, she's not full of **** (lies).
I was, for a time a severe codependent. No longer. I read some books and took a step back from it all. I no longer go through her stuff, I don't worry when she's out, I don't have trouble sleeping etc...I feel much better about the situation. Even before the Suboxone I was getting better about disconnecting from it all.
She's shown no addictive compulsions with regard to the suboxone. She doesn't take more than she needs to, sometimes she forgets to take it. She doesn't bring it everywhere, she doesn't freak out if somebody else handles it etc...
I was mostly wondering how addicts typically are after successful suboxone treatment? Are there cravings gone? Are the cravings still there but more easily managed? I guess I'm just worried about her down the road being off Suboxone and going back to her old ways. She wants nothing more than to stay sober, I have no doubt of that in my mind. She made Suboxone happen on her own.
Is Suboxone typically psychologically addictive? If she does become physically dependent on it, will it also mess with her mind??
Lastly, how do you know when to taper off? From one standpoint, the sooner the better, then we don't have to worry about her being hooked on it. On the other hand, what if she comes off of it and starts up her old **** again?
Thank you very much for all the suggestions and answers. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My RABF was on Suboxone. It helped with the cravings. He had some trouble coming off of it. The doc had to sometimes adjust the dosage. The main thing is that they need to be working on recovery in addition to taking the Subs. Taking Subs without a psychological recovery isn't going to get them off drugs. They need to learn how to live life without using drugs. They need to find new activities in their lives that don't involve drugs. They need to get away from the using friends, and have sober friends.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My RABF was on Oxy's and the doc gave him about 3 months of Subs. He kept trying to come off it quickly, but realized that he needed to taper more.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

She's pretty serious about it. She changed her cell and doesn't talk/hang around those dipshits anymore...You're saying your BF was coming off of the Subs too quickly, was he relapsing on Oxy? Or, was he getting sick from quitting his Subs cold turkey? Is he off of Suboxone now and if so, how does he seem, how are his cravings? What does the RA stand for? Thanks very much.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

Hi Woog, Nice to meet you. I have been on subs for nearly 2 years now. But don't freak out about it b/c the time someone has to be on it is dependent on soooo many factors. It sounds as if your gf is doing great--that is as long as she is reducing her dose per doctor's orders. I agree with some of what I read through here and some I didn't. The thing is that it is just so subjective depending on the person. IMO, the longer you are on it (such as in my case), the more psychologically dependent you can become. At the moment, I am tapering off and am currently on 1.5 mg per day. It's not been easy for me, but I have to face facts and get off of it so that I can resume my life. There are a lot of different programs out there. Some get you off of suboxone as quickly as possible. Some let you go at your own pace. And there are even maintenance therapies--which honestly I don't think are the best idea, unless you have health/pain disorders that require such treatment.

Is your gf in therapy or attending any meetings? I strongly believe that both of these things will help in the long term. Getting to the root of the problem of why she used opiates in the first place is one of the first steps in healing. And remember she will not just get better b/c she is on subs. They are used to reduce the amount of withdrawal you would go through if you went cold-turkey and reduce cravings. People do get dependent on them but it's more of a psychological dependency of just wanting something to take. And people don't get better overnight, although day by day you see improvement in anyone who is giving up substance abuse of any kind. For example, I was an addict for 5 years. It took me awhile to realize that in those 5 years I became a different person. Learning to live, feel, and function as the person you really were before you became an addict is a long process. Getting yourself back is a great feeling--but scary as hell too!!

Anyway, I haven't been on here for awhile, but I needed to get back into my support groups/friends that have been with me thru some of the toughest times in my life. I'm glad I saw you're post. Hope my story helped. Be supportive of your gf. Congratulate her on her progress. Invite her here to chat with us. You will both meet amazing people on here who are always willing to help and offer support!!

Also, I wanted to answer your question about cravings after she is off the subs. My dr. will be putting me on naltrexone, which is an opiate blocker and is half of what sub. is made up of. It is what keeps you from getting high if you try to take opiates while on it, plus you'll get sick from the interaction of the blocker, and there is some thought that it helps with cravings. Have her ask her dr. if this would be an option for her to consider. Best of luck to you both!!!

butterfly19
Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The way I immediately look at this is because she was addicted to oxy and methadone for not even a year, her addiction is more mental then anything. I'm surprised she is even on the suboxone.

With that said, my RABF has taken himself off suboxone, and it was hell for him. Because it is time released, it seemed to have taken longer for the drug to get out of his system... BUT he is working a program, which is my answer for any treatment. If your AGF does not work a program her chances of relapsing are higher.

Originally Posted by woog View Post
Hey guys. Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll try to answer most of the questions.
She was prescribed Suboxone, she is/was addicted to OXY/methadone for close to a year. For four of those months she was on Methadone treatment but, was relapsing on OXY a few times a month. Methadone really didn't help her.
She's now been on Suboxone for about 6 weeks, started at 18MG but is now taking only 4mg/day. She has not taken any other drugs, she agrees to and is proud to take **** tests whenever I feel like it.
Suboxone has made a ridiculous improvement in her. She really is back to herself. No mood swings, she has energy, she's not severly depressed, she's not full of **** (lies).
I was, for a time a severe codependent. No longer. I read some books and took a step back from it all. I no longer go through her stuff, I don't worry when she's out, I don't have trouble sleeping etc...I feel much better about the situation. Even before the Suboxone I was getting better about disconnecting from it all.
She's shown no addictive compulsions with regard to the suboxone. She doesn't take more than she needs to, sometimes she forgets to take it. She doesn't bring it everywhere, she doesn't freak out if somebody else handles it etc...
I was mostly wondering how addicts typically are after successful suboxone treatment? Are there cravings gone? Are the cravings still there but more easily managed? I guess I'm just worried about her down the road being off Suboxone and going back to her old ways. She wants nothing more than to stay sober, I have no doubt of that in my mind. She made Suboxone happen on her own.
Is Suboxone typically psychologically addictive? If she does become physically dependent on it, will it also mess with her mind??
Lastly, how do you know when to taper off? From one standpoint, the sooner the better, then we don't have to worry about her being hooked on it. On the other hand, what if she comes off of it and starts up her old **** again?
Thank you very much for all the suggestions and answers. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

She was abusing oxy for about a year but I think it was really bad. She was IVing and at the height of her bottom she was using about 12 80MG OXYs/day!! On Methadone, she was still pretty nuts and her cravings were always bad and she was definitely sneaking OXY every once in a while.
Our housing situation is kinda up in the air and we've had a ton going on, so she sorta stopped going to meetings, which I don't mind for now. We're moving to a different city. Once we're settled I'll push for a little more structure to her recovery, if she doesn't do it on her own...
I realize her addiction was short term but, she really hit bottom. If Suboxone wasn't doing what it is there's no doubt in my mind I'd be out of the picture. I had just about had it...
I am very curious to hear about how people are once off of Suboxone. I realize that's a very subjective subject but, I'd just like to try and understand what most people are like once off successful treatment. Thanks again for your time and answers.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you should ask people in the substance abuse forum Woog?

D
Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

woog,

you have asked about what you might expect once she gets off the sub. i too am surprised that she has been put on that, something i thought was reserved for pretty hard-core cases. but, this makes me worry that you will put pressure on her when to get off of them. just a reminder that it her and her doctor's call.

ra stands for recovering addict.

also concerned that her recovery should be her #1 priority. it's easy to let other, important things take over, but it's also then easy to slip into not putting it #1. again, as much as i know you mean well and want to be helpful, the decision to go to meetings and such is hers to make, not yours.

i thought butterfly gave you some great answers.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
woog,

you have asked about what you might expect once she gets off the sub. i too am surprised that she has been put on that, something i thought was reserved for pretty hard-core cases. but, this makes me worry that you will put pressure on her when to get off of them. just a reminder that it her and her doctor's call.

ra stands for recovering addict.

also concerned that her recovery should be her #1 priority. it's easy to let other, important things take over, but it's also then easy to slip into not putting it #1. again, as much as i know you mean well and want to be helpful, the decision to go to meetings and such is hers to make, not yours.

i thought butterfly gave you some great answers.
I don't consider myself a "hard core" addict. Basically taking 8-10 hydros at the most a day. But, I've been battling cravings and relapses for over 7 years now. And the thought of one more detox, obsessions, relapses upon relapses. I just couldn't even read a self help book let alone reach out for help in constant turmoil. So, I found myself either on pills to live a life or off pills and hating life. I found a middle ground on Suboxone. I'm literally calling it a crutch because it's carrying me through the hard work of recovery. Without something to lean on, I couldn't do it.

So, it's not always just a case of heroin addicts needing this. I am thankful that it has stopped - even temporarily-the absolute obsession and compulsion I have suffered for so many years.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

RA is recovering addict. My RABF had a hard time tapering because he would get too many withdrawal effects. He would try to taper, but it would be too much. He'd get too tired, or too depressed. Since he got off the Subs, things have been up and down. As far as I know, he's stayed clean. He had a lot of trouble with depression and energy at first, but that is getting better. He had some really difficult days--where he was really moody. He hasn't kept a job, yet. He has a new one that he is starting soon. When he first got off the drugs, he had a hard time accomplishing anything, he had a hard time being social--he just had to learn how to deal with life without drugs. He was used to celebrating with drugs, numbing with drugs, etc.

The most important thing for me has been to learn how to stay out of his recovery. You said that you might want to help her with more structure in her recovery. My suggestion is to leave the recovery to her. I've been there with emailing my ABF articles, suggesting books, coming up with solutions, monitoring his eating habits, monitoring phone calls, etc. I've tried it all, and it doesn't work. If she wants to be sober, she will need to figure out on her own how to do it. The best way you can help is by working in yourself--take care of yourself, your needs, your health, your wants. Maybe your example will inspire her. If not, at least you will have not lost yourself in the process of trying to save her.