Update

Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update

Just wanted to let you know what's going on in my life, lately.

Most of you know that I was robbed at work, back in Oct 2008, got pistol-whipped and have been dealing with workmen's comp since that time. They've treated my migraines, but refused to acknowledge the PTSD my dr. diagnosed and has been giving me samples of meds for (anti-d's) because I can't afford them.

Things have been tense at home, more than a few times, with Brit (my 16-year-old niece) thinking she is grown and dropping out of counseling...never DID open up. She has anger issues, dad has anger issues, and stepmom is the queen of codies and everyone says they'll "work on it" but dad and Brit may make changes for a bit, but they go back to their old ways the next time they argue.

I found a counselor I really liked but couldn't afford her and insurance wouldn't cover it. My short-term memory is about nil, and she agreed that I need counseling and the memory thing is a part of the PTSD, as are some other symptoms. That's when I got angry and when I decided to sue workmen's comp. It has been months and months and months. Because the settlement is based on my income and I make very little, the lawyer told me to "be looking for another job" but that I couldn't leave the one I have, which has made it difficult.

I've been clinging to several people, here at SR, and have definitely been on a roller coaster. My plan for this week was to go out and find a job, whether it's at McDonald's or wherever. I can now buckle down in school (just got my tax refund and it's enough to get me through this month...just barely) and get my degree..3 more semesters. Got on the Dean's list for the first one.

My lawyer called today. I will sign the papers for the final settlement tomorrow morning at 9a.m. I won't be rich, but I will be able to pay my dad back for the times he's helped me, as he is really struggling right now; pay off my 3 little credit cards, and I am planning (once I get a job and a schedule) on taking a couple of days and going to a beach...don't know where, but if there's an ocean and sand, I'll be happy. I'm also putting some in savings.

I also found out that my XABF died in Dec. He was still using and they don't really know what he died of but most likely, it had something to do with 30+ years of using. I was very sad, had recently written him when he was in jail, and he had written back until I told him "no" when he asked for money. I only wrote to tell him how good my life was going and that I wished him well.

I've been on the codie rollercoaster, quite a bit, and have had to be reminded to get back in my hula hoop quite a few times. I am eternally grateful for the friends I have made here.

The one thing I haven't wanted to do, was use, and I will have 3 years clean next month. For me, the addiction recovery has been a lot easier than this codie recovery

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i'm so glad to hear that things are finally working out for you. you are still in my prayers
Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm jealous. Enjoy the beach. :-) I hear Costa Rica is nice this time of year....
Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

happy for you that things are starting to look up a bit.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Kitty))) -sweetie, I'm thinking more of FL - driving distance, and only for a couple of days. Along with the settlement, I'm LOSING my insurance, workmen's comp dr. and medicines (about $700/month) and I still need to find a therapist. Besides, I don't get the money for about a month and bills don't wait, so I'm already looking for another job, more intensely.

I needed to leave this job as it has been toxic for a while. This is more about me standing up and saying "you can't treat me like this and not have some consequences" than anything. They are losing a good worker, and a chunk of change.

I am leaving my comfort zone, which has been pretty miserable for a while and step into the next phase of my life. I have a tendency to stay with something (men, jobs, family, etc.) way past the point where I needed to have moved on...this is another case, so HP helped me out today, and now I CAN'T go back - it's part of the settlement, and for that, I am grateful.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ok then howabout Greece? Santorini. Beautiful beaches. Hunky men. I went there on holidays once and almost didn't come back. ;-)

Santorini Vacation

Oia

If not this vacation... maybe next.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe when I graduate and get a "real" job that pays more than minimum wage? I still have bills from way back when I was a nurse. Bills and consequences first, maybe a place of my own (FINALLY) and then possibly a nice vacation. For now, a couple days on a beach close to home is just fine.

Darned if recovery hasn't taught me to be a responsible person

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You've been through a lot Amy, and you've done it clean. Everything's going to work out for you, I just know it. May not happen right away but it will. Being a stubborn ass is a good thing when you make it work for you, and that's what you're doing
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

((((((((((((Amy)))))))))) I am grateful that you share so openly.
You continue to move forward. YEA for you !!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well, one thing bout staying with (job, husband, etc) too long, is that when you leave, you don't even think about going back.

i'm so sorry about your robbery experience. how horrifying. i wish you well.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amy, I am so happy for you and see this as "the beginning of new beginnings".

The settlement validates that your pain is worth something, even if they aren't paying you what it should be worth....and it gives you a chance to relax and rethink your path.

Enjoy your beach...I do my best thinking on a beach.

Hugs
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad things are working out for you. You've helped so many people here it's about time somethings start going your way.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Amy I'm sorry you have had to go through all of this, but grateful that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Road trips can be lots of fun and I find just thinking about and planning a get away lifts my spirits and gets me into a more relaxed zone. You are a wonderful example of recovery in action! Hugs and my continued prayers.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Glad to hear that you haven't been tempted or thought about using. You and I have both
been pretty solid in the aspect no matter how unbalanced things have gotten, I am so grateful to be able to travel a similar road with you.
I know this path your on is going to take you to a better one, keep on keeping on.
You make us proud. We ~~~~~<3 Ya!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Amy - you've been through so much. I felt sympathy but ALSO PRIDE reading your posts. You have the BEST attitude and you're strong in your recovery. Good Luck finding a job and have fun at the beach. You deserve it.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey there Amy, keep makeing your steps towards a new beginning.

CONGRATS on school, and deans list...I know how much work it takes. Isn't it nice to know that you have at least a 'little' plan? I know you said your tax return will only get you through a month, and the settlement, is just a small piece of $$ to get you a little caught up.... but at least you can enter a new job with things in order, and that will give you the stablility you'll need to stay on track w/ bills etc. when you do get paid.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to school for?

I know you had said you were going to look for a job.... look at the one you will be searching for as temporary. That might make it easier.... simply income/insurance. I know McDonalds as you mentioned has good insurance, and pays relatively well.

Hope that you keep pushing forward. Your insight is always helpful to me, and I know things will work out in your favor... it's gotta, you deserve it after all your hard work!

Hugs, and love,
Cess
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

HUGS Amy

So grateful that things finally worked out with the insurance company - dadgumit - it's about time!!!!!!

still staying prayers for the job offers and that you will be guided to a healthier atmosphere to live and work in -

Vacation - hmm you definitely deserve it - hope it is a nice sunny beach - geez wish it was a time I could meet ya there!

enjoy the sun, waves and gentle breeze!!

thanks again for sharing you e, s, & h - you're the best!!
Love ya,
Rita
Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((Cessy)) - getting another (3rd) Associate's degree in Health Information Technology to get back into healthcare. Not in the position, mentally, to try to get nursing degree back at this time and that's okay.

Signed the papers this morning, and they go to "the board" for approval - may be the end of this week, should be no later than next week...lawyer says it's a formality. After they're approved, workmen's comp/my company have 21 days to pay me.

I'm drained...I knew it was coming, but I'm taking today to snuggle with the cats and regroup. Tomorrow, it will be back to find a "fill-in" job, unless one of the decent ones I've applied for decides to call. Whatever happens, I know I'll be okay.

Thank you all!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
cmc

Amy....
Your recovery and strength are inspiring.

I'm so happy for you that things are changing for the better.