Language of Letting Go - Jan. 29 - Going to Meetings

Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Jan. 29 - Going to Meetings

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Going to Meetings

I am still amazed, after years of recovering, at how easily I can begin to talk myself out of attending meetings. I am also still amazed at how good I feel when I go.
—Anonymous

We don't have to stay stuck in our misery and discomfort. An immediate option is available that will help us feel better: go to a meeting, a Twelve Step support group.

Why resist what can help us feel better? Why sit in our obsession or depression when attending a meeting - even if that means an extra meeting - would help us feel better?

Too busy?
There are 168 hours in each week. Taking one or two hours a week for a meeting can maximize the potential of the remaining 166 hours. If we get into our "codependent stuff," we can easily spend a majority of our waking hours obsessing, sitting and doing nothing, lying in bed and feeling depressed, or chasing after other people's needs. Not taking those two hours for a meeting can cause us to waste the remaining hours.

Too tired?
There is nothing as invigorating as getting back on track. Going to a meeting can accomplish that.

Today, I will remember that going to meetings helps.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Gang...I'm on vacation in the sunny south until March, but will be able to get here on and off if I can get myself a good internet connection here.

So thought I'd bring in a reading, because this one fit me today. Once settled I will be finding a meeting down here and recharge my recovery batteries. If you haven't tried meetings, give them a shot...you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'll try to catch up my reading here soon. Just know that I love you all and will be back soon.

Hugs from Florida
Old 01-30-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've missed you, Ann! Your posts have helped me so much! Have fun in the sun, and thank you!

Hunny