Language of Letting Go - Jan. 22 - Appreciating our Past

Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Jan. 22 - Appreciating our Past

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Appreciating Our Past

It is easy to be negative about past mistakes and unhappiness. But it is much more healing to look at ourselves and our past in the light of experience, acceptance, and growth. Our past is a series of lessons that advance us to higher levels of living and loving.

The relationships we entered, stayed in, or ended taught us necessary lessons. Some of us have emerged from the most painful circumstances with strong insights about who we are and what we want.

Our mistakes? Necessary. Our frustrations, failures, and sometimes-stumbling attempts at growth and progress? Necessary too.

Each step of the way, we learned. We went through exactly the experiences we needed to, to become who we are today. Each step of the way, we progressed.

Is our past a mistake? No. The only mistake we can make is mistaking that for the truth.

Today, God, help me let go of negative thoughts I may be harboring about my past circumstances or relationships. I can accept, with gratitude, all that has brought me to today.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It was in my darkest days that I surrendered exhausted knowing I could not live one more day like that.

Had I not gone through what I did, I would not have found the path that has brought me to the most beautiful time of my life.

Today it all makes sense and I am grateful.

Hugs
Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree Ann, 100%!

Sometimes I look around me and see people who have not been "forced" into a state of crisis; nothing that has pushed them to truly stop and take inventory of their lives, their needs, their wants, etc. and continue to live "happily". Only, what I see... I see they are simply going through the motions, and have no clue and are not truly happy and have no idea that they can achieve it. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. The only one I can work on is me, and I do know for me, I am grateful for my past, because if I hadn't had it; the people, gifts, and wonders that I have been given as a result- I know I would not see as clearly or appreciate for what they truly are and I would not feel as true to myself!

Cheers to life's great and hard lessons (at least for me!)
Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I look for your postings of " Language of Letting Go "
Thanks for the regular share.