Scared

Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

My husband is a recovering alcoholic/addict for almost 9 months. Most of the time he is wonderful and I 100% sure he is not using. About once or twice every 2-3 weeks he appears to be intoxicated or high. These episodes only last about an hour. He swears that he is not doing anything. When these episodes occur I do not smell the alcohol smell that I use to smell when he was drinking but sometimes I do detect a smell between alcohol and nail polish remover. His blood sugar has been checked and is fine, he has also have liver panels done and the indicator of alcohol use was not elevated. He complains of occassional dizziness, tierdness, and not being able to sleep. He does admit small occassional memory issues, but says it is nothing like when he was using. He says there are times that he feels like he is drunk from alcohol but still denies using. He is randomly drug tested and alcohol tested at his work, 3 times in 6 mo and has passed all test. I am about to worry myself sick and so are our 16 and 11 yr old daughters. I am so desparate to know if anyone else has experienced these issues.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Leave to get out of the situation.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, insecure. Be sure to read all the sticky posts at the top for the forum, learn all you can about addiction and what you're dealing with. The more knowledge you have the better decisions you'll make. The hardest thing I had to learn was that I could not "fix" my ex-AH's addiction problems, even though I tried many different ways and worried myself almost insane. The only person who can work their recovery is them.
The 3 C's of addiction:
1. You didn't Cause it
2. You can't Control it
3. You can't Cure it

What was your husbands drug of choice?

My ex's was meth and it would mess with his blood pressure, running it up, producing
dizzy spells. The not sleeping would be a result of the drug use .. the tiredness from crashing afterwards. Not sure if this is related to your situation, though.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi insecure

i'm a recovering crack addict and some of the things you described, i can relate to. the tiredness, the smell, not being able to sleep and even at times dizziness, though i'm not saying this is the case with your husband.

you say you are sure he's not using so i'm curious to know if he is seeing a doctor for his symptoms.

"once or twice every 2-3 wks he appears to be intoxicated or high"? sounds like your gut may be telling you and your daughters that something may not be adding up, huh?. i'm glad to hear he passed the tests.

(my exp and opinion only) some drugs will only stay in the system about 3days, my ah would pass them all the time. he's what i call a full blown crack addict who was only using about every 2-3wks. btw, he claims to be in recovery but imo, thats call active. he's now actually detoxing. for real, in prison. i think he is anyway.

maybe you could try to keep the focus on you and your kids, time will tell you what you need to know. watch his actions not his words. read all you can, post as much as you like and try to attend a few alanon or naranon f2f meetings for families. your daughters could also benefit from them.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i'm curious: why your daughters worried?