1st meeting tonight : )

Old 01-19-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile 1st meeting tonight : )

I am attending my first NA meeting tonight. I found a meeting that is soley for family of A. When I told my AH that I was going he kinda acted alittle frustrated that I was going and he had to stay home with our son. Then he said OK if you wanna go then go.

I wasn't asking him if I could go . . . I was telling him, but anyways I'm just trying to focus on myself here.

I hope the meeting is helpful I'm excited!

Is it weird to be excited about attending a meeting because your husband is an A? ok yeah alittle, but it is what it is huh LOL
Trying to find humor in a bad situation!

I hope this brings new light!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Most people outside of addiction (or in denial) don't understand why I get excited about seeing my therapist LOL!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

The alanon literature tells us to try at least 6 mtg. before we form an opinion.
I kept going back and one day at a time my life changed and I started to have a spiritual awakening.

May you be as fortunate.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are following through with going to a meeting!

And that you informed him you were going, not asked!

And did not let his almost-hissy-fit sway you from going!

When I went to my first Al-anon meeting, I didn't know it at the time - didn't have a clue - but it was the first day of the rest of my life.

(and chino: I get excited when I go to see my therapist too. always have)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words : )

The meeting was very eye opening to say the least. There were about 50 people there all ages, race, size and shape. The meeting was on gratitude.
On the website the flyer said the meeting was for family and freinds, however once I got there it was a regular NA meeting, but was open for everyone.

The people that were sharing with the group were so open and you could tell they were really exposing themself wide open for everyone to see. I couldn't help but to think I can't wait for my AH to be at that point.

I did find a common thought with most of the people that shared was that they seemed to turn toward drugs because they felt as though they couldn't bare life on their own. They didn't know how to cope with daily problems and so they kinda escaped through getting high. To me this gave me a whole new perspective.

I am not really sure how those meeting will help me with MY issues, but it curtainly helped me to understand alittle more about addiction. I didn't speak to anyone there after the meeting. Are there certain steps that a family member of an addict can take and work on?

I would like to hear from other people on here as to how they used these meetings as tools for them "the family of an addict".
Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are several reasons/ways to use the meetings to your advantage.

First of all, although I like attending an "open" AA or NA meeting, these are, as you've seen, for the addict. The one for you will have an "Anon" in it. (Nar-anon, Al-anon or other substance-anon).

You will get an education.
You will receive support
You will not feel so alone
You will not feel as though no one else goes through this
You will support your addict-loved one (if he/she is "working" a program of sobriety)

and

most importantly (IMO)

you will experience tremendous personal growth. The ways are so numerous I will not list them here, but I'm betting others who want to say something might.

Again, congratulations on your commitment! We are here to help you along the way.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

" The people that were sharing - I can't wait for my AH to be at that point. "

You can get to this point yourself no matter what your AH is doing. And what point you get to is all you have control of. Perhaps you will try al-anon which is for friends and family like you were seeking. Perhaps you will learn to share and grow in the program.
Perhaps you will learn about yourself and what is best for you.
You will be amazed.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, I think it helped open my eyes to see how much I am like the addict. I always saw it as a black and white issue, when for me, its a big blob of gray. I see the struggles of the addict, and as much as I think I am being hurt by their usage, I am allowing myself to get hurt, but putting myself in the situation. Just as an addict is allowing themselves to relapse if they put themselves in the situation... I feel its important to go to alanon/ naranon meetings, but at the same time, feel that an NA, CA, AA.... meetings can't hurt once in a while to understand more.

Originally Posted by karrie1207 View Post
I would like to hear from other people on here as to how they used these meetings as tools for them "the family of an addict