Rehab shuts door

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab shuts door

I'm shocked that this established literally shut the door on their addicts/patients without any notice. One of them was found dead from an overdose a few hours afterwards.

Quebec drug rehab centre closes abruptly
Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The overwhelming number of rehabs are for profit businesses.

There is nothing wrong with for profit businesses, given most people are dependent upon such businesses for employment. Having a business license is no guarantee that a business will be profitable. Businesses abruptly shut their doors, every day.

Investors, employees, suppliers and clients are left holding the bag.

Most private rehabs require substantial non refundable deposits to hold a bed and prepayment of co-pay fees or all fees if insurance is not involved. This includes the world class organization, who wrote the book.

There are charitable organizations, grants and government sub alternatives for those who qualify. No guarantee that a private pay is going to produce a better result than say, Salvation Army.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i agree with cycinal, as sad as this is, some of these centers are more about the money. i hope somehow these familes are able to get their money back. its sad to hear about the overdose and the ones who decided to go back to using but rehab is really only the begining of recovery, the hard work comes after release, beside, imo, it only takes a few days to be introduced to the tools of recovery but practicing those tools has to become a lifestyle.

my mom always say "you can take a horse to the troth but you can't make it drink". maybe this is why they say when the addict is ready, he'll seek help on his own.

i went to a couple of state funded rehabs. the last one i went to abruptly close on me but that only made me more desperate to do whatever else i could to stay sober.before this, if i used and began self destructing, i thought i could always run back to rehab but when it closed, it scared me into getting serious about my recovery.

anyway, i guess i'm rambling to this very sad story.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

"They were given $100 each and told to find their own way home," added Joceyln, who didn't want her last name published in order to protect her family's privacy.

"My son told me that some of the people on the bus said they were going to use the $100 to buy drugs."

No way!!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

In Canada, where that happened, most rehabs are free and under Goverment scrutiny.

Private rehabs often run independently and like some businesses, there are good ones and bad ones and it's hard to tell the difference.

I think that incident was tragic, criminal and immoral. I hope the owners are prosecuted.

Hugs
Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just curious Ann, why would someone seek private care, when public options are so readily available, in Canada?

Like all, I agree this was a shameful transition.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure about this particular rehab but I was given an option of 4 different private rehabs to choose from to save my nursing license. I was not offered any free deal, as the free rehabs apparently did not offer the entire array of services my state required to be considered "rehabbed". Even when I was offered help before it became mandatory I was not given any options of free rehab, all were seriously expensive. I do agree that when the mind is made up to get clean and off drugs it really doesn't matter where the service is provided because it is about the person reaching out to the help offered. I guess my point is we don't get to always pick what kind of rehab service we receive.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not an expert by any means, but unfortunately I have had a lot of experience with rehabs in Canada. My daughter has been to three. Many rehabs in Canada that are run by charities and the government are very good and the majority are 12 step programs with other components as well. The reason people choose private, or to pay for government programs is that they do not have to wait.

My daughter was on the list for the charity and government programs. They require testing and and questionnaires and assessments by social workers, etc. So you take a person in active addiction and they have three or four meetings to attend before they can qualify to be put on the list. The list may take one to four months before your name is on top. My daughter was in a Government program, but we paid to jump the line. In that particular rehab, it is highly regarded and 70% of people attending have paid.

Now Clear Haven -- she went there too!
Very good program. They do not stress the 12 steps. They are a cognitive behavioural
approach. They try to empower the individual. They teach not powerlessness in any regard, but you have the power to overcome, etc. They do teach total avoidance and behaviour modification, etc.
What they did when they closed their doors was unacceptable. However, from what I have been told from my daughter's Dad who is a CA - CPA -- The owner did not make that decision, it was the bankruptcy trustee who ceased the assets and got rid of people, etc. without regard for what the company was - a drug and alcohol rehab.

Half of the clients came from the US and with the extent of the recession, they lost half their income. So, money mangers seem to do what they do regardless of the situation and addicts given $100, seem to do what they do as well.

I hope the family of the young man who did OD finds some solace and peace - their son was taken too soon from this horrible disease.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My introduction to the world of addiction treatment began the day I got out the yellow pages to find a facility for my (then) husband. I did not even know there were programs free of charge, nor did the question enter my mind.

Today, my S/O, realizing that the treatment piece missing from his recovery is something he could really benefit from, is on a waiting list for an open bed in a free place.

This was a business, certainly. But the commodity they are working with is real human beings. These places facilitate the changing of these real people's lives, and even so the stakes aren't higher?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Peacetrain. I appreciate the perceptive.

I too have read that this particular facility had a solid program and some success with people, especially younger people, who could not wrap their heads around the 12 step thing.

In my prior life, I had a lot of experience with insolvent companies and bankruptcy trustees. You are right. A trustee has the power to close the doors at any time, they see fit. It's a business decision.