I just found out my GF has been taking 35-40 Vicodin a day!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just found out my GF has been taking 35-40 Vicodin a day!

As the title says I just found out my GF has been abusing Vicodin for the past 2 years and her addiction has gotten gradually worse to the point she's been taking 35-40 or more a day for the past few months. Needless to say i'm devastated. I just want to know if anybody has had any experience with an addiction to Vicodin this severe and I would like some advice on how to cope with this. I guess I should tell you that she's unhappily married and has been to a 3 day inpatient detox. She is now on her 7th day without any Vicodin.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess the issue I have is the amoount of pills she was taking. I am not an expert on drug abuse but it seems like a totally ridiculous amount to me. Is this very common or has anybody had similar experiences?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Emspro))) - it IS a ridiculous amount, but as an RA (recovering addict) we build a very high toleraince and can get to where we take an extreme amount of drugs. Though crack was my DOC (drug of choice), I used to abuse opiates and I know of several people here who did a similar amount, or more, of Vicodin.

As ((Cyinical)) pointed out, please read the stickies and other posts, maybe check out meetings. Until your gf wants help for her addiction, she will continue on this path. No amount of love, begging, threatening, etc. will stop her...at least not for the long term. We A's can stop drugs...it's the STAYING stopped that requires a lot of work and support of other recovering addicts.

I'm glad you're here...you will get a lot of support, ES&H (experience, strength and hope). What you won't get is advice on how to make your A quit, because that just can't be done, though we've all tried. Even though I'm an RA, I've dealt with my own loved ones who are A's (addicts) and have to remember to keep MY hands off and let them follow their own path. It's not easy, but it's the most loving thing to do..to give them the chance to face the consequences of their using and find their own way into recovery, if they choose it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not to my knowledge but there's still alot of info i'm still getting. I appreciate the replies because I really have no idea where to start with this. I will mention the liver function test and make sure she lets her doctors know about her addiction.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just be prepared, she may not WANT her doctor to know....we A's are very protective of our addiction, and our "source" if we aren't ready to quit and begin work at recovery. There's a high likelihood that she is not getting that amount from just one dr., also...she could be getting it from several doctors or off the streets.

Not meaning to sound doom and gloom, but this is a reality with addiction. And cynical is right...the acetaminophen level in that amount of Vicoden is very toxic to the liver, which is why I'd question one dr giving her that amount....that would amount to 1000-1200 pills a month? I'm a former nurse and have never seen a physician prescribe anywhere CLOSE to that amount.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From what I am told she was getting her prescriptions and having her friends get prescriptions in their name for her and she was paying for them. I don't believe she was buying on the street because that's too expensive. This is very hard for me because like I said before she is married and now I can't be there for her at all times like I wish I could to help her through her recovery. She does want to stop and it has been 8 days since she touched a Vicodin. She is really shaky and sick but seems to be doing better. Is it safe to say the worst of the withdrawal symptoms are behind her now?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok I talked to her yesterday afternoon and she was pretty much sedated for 3 days in the inpatient rehab clinic. She is under the doctors care and taking limited amounts of Vicodin to slowly get her off of it completely but keep her from having severe withdrawal symptoms. They did do a liver function test and all the labs came back normal which is good and amazing after taking such a large quantity for so long. I have noticed her mood changes so drastically from one time we talk to the next and i'm assuming this is normal? I want to thank you for all the help and support.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well thank you for asking about me. I really haven't been eating much actually and I find it so hard to go to sleep because I am a worrier. I always have been. I just can't shut off my brain and I lay awake staring at the ceiling alot. I really have no family except for my kids who live out of state. I have been spending a little time with friends but sometimes it's hard to get stuff off my mind.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Might want to look at the earlier posts and consider Al-anon or nar-anon. Support for YOU is soo key. She's getting help... take care of yourself. : ) Hugs.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, don't think i've met you so i'd first like to say welcome to sr. you didn't post the extent of your relationship and not that it matters much but you did say that she was unhappily married and how you are not being able to be there is effecting you.

i agree with alanon/naranon, reading and posting here. try to focus more on you. i'm a ra and sometimes as we recover, our thinking becames clearer and sometimes our mood swings in directions that are totally unexpected of our loved ones.

as for the excessive thoughts, try not allowing yourself to think anything about her for a little while. thoughts about my ah and his behavior was literally driving me insane so i HAD to find a way to keep my mind occupied with thoughts other than him.