there is a way out

Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

there is a way out

Poor decisions I made in the past might still make others distrust my ability to make wise choices. I admit that, in the past, my perception was clouded, and I had trouble doing what was best for me and my children. In times when I "zoned out," I couldn't see what was happening to me, and I lacked the awareness of real danger. At that time I wasn't able to ask for or get what I needed.

But now I'm learning how to make healthy and wise decisions, taking care of myself and my children. Other people may want me to prove myself to them, but the only person I have to prove anything to is myself.

I am thoughtful, responsible, strong, confident, and courageous.

.... ok ya'll.....I wish that I could take credit for this but I found it in Hazelden's daily reflection that I receive. It's from a book called "Breaking Free" which I obviously need to go and get.

Through a thorough investigation of doing it "my way" and sorely failing I finally discovered recovery and the steps. My life is now lived based on the thorough working of the 12 steps and recovery. I am very imperfect in doing this but it all serves me as a jumping off place for everything else. Some people "get it" without having to have it spelled out for them but that has not been the case with me. I need a recipe. I wish that I could tell you how it works but it does...just like they say - it works if you work it.

One of the things that I found to be most important was to work it with another person...someone that has gone there before me. I've learned a lot about not going into the neighborhood of my mind without another person, how and who to trust, and how to change my perspective.

There is a lot of pain (and some joys) on our forum and I know that there is a way through all of it. Even if you don't want to go to meetings then I encourage people to find some 12 step recovery workbooks at least. Melody Beattie wrote one "codies guide through the 12 steps".

As long as the focus is on our pain and our loved ones NOTHING is going to change. The only person that we can fix is ourself. For me, it sure is a lot of work but hopefully, I'm heading in the right direction.

Just some first of the year thoughts. I hope that 2010 will be a great and wonderful year for each of you!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I wish that I could tell you how it works but it does...just like they say - it works if you work it.

One of the things that I found to be most important was to work it with another person...someone that has gone there before me. I've learned a lot about not going into the neighborhood of my mind without another person, how and who to trust, and how to change my perspective.

There is a lot of pain (and some joys) on our forum and I know that there is a way through all of it. Even if you don't want to go to meetings then I encourage people to find some 12 step recovery workbooks at least. Melody Beattie wrote one "codies guide through the 12 steps".

As long as the focus is on our pain and our loved ones NOTHING is going to change. The only person that we can fix is ourself. For me, it sure is a lot of work but hopefully, I'm heading in the right direction.
Lightseeker, your recovery is just shining here. You reflect exactly how this program works....one codie helping another. It's really as uncomplicated as that.

I too found a codie sponsor who had gone before me, to gently lead me through working the steps and I learned how to use these 12 little steps every day in all areas of my life.

Recovery is a process, and it gets better every day. Some days it is tested, some days I feel so blessed I want to share it all, and some days I really need my codie friends here to hold me up and share their light until I can find my own. One codie helping another, one step at a time, it all begins to make sense.

Keep shining, lightseeker, you are such an inspiration to me and everyone here.

Hugs :ghug3