I'm loosing him...

Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm loosing him...

To a video game.

He was an addict to heroin, is on suboxone and now can not stop playing video games. I cried and cried and asked him to stop. He said I am making a big deal over it. He plays for hours upon hours. No job, no meetings... nothing.

I cried so much and begged him to stop. (This was on the phone) I could hear that he was still playing from the click sounds the keyboard makes. He siad he does not want to deal with this and that I am making a huge deal over it.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Littlebird)))

It sounds like he is still trying to fill the void inside of him. People can be addicted to ANYTHING!

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about this. He may be on suboxone, but it doesn't sound (to me) like he's working a plan of recovery...he's just switching addictions.

All you can do is decide whether this is acceptable to you and go from there. Do you really want a man who is emotionally unavailable to you?

I'm sorry, I know this hurts and you had high hopes with the suboxone, but getting off the drugs does NOT equal recovery. I know...I quit using crack for the better part of a year, but didn't work recovery....I was pretty miserable and relapsed. It was only when I found other, healthy, things to fill that void in me, that my life became so much better.

Big hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Impurrfect, I really need to be reminded of this.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, I am so grateful for you guys

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
I think it's important that our side allows others to be who and what they want to be. If at this time he wants to be an unemployed living in his mamas house video game player, and if she is allowing it, that's his choice. I'm sure you found that manipulation tactics such as crying and begging didn't work for his drug addiction, so they won't work for his gaming addiction either. Until he gets real uncomfortable, he has no reason to want to seek a better way.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my opiate addict gets easily addicted to video games.. says he has an "addictive personality"... so I guess it happens =/

There's noy much you can do, an addiction is an addiction, just like drugs, doesnt matter if you keep crying and beg him, he won't stop. It's your choice how you handle it

(((hugs))) I wish you all the best =]
Old 01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could you turn this around and say, "he is loosing you" ?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Let him live somewhere else so he will have to work to pay someone rent. Make him fly. My Mom did it to me and she helped me to be respponsible.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is exactly how I want to be for 2010. I need to analyze my words, to the point that I think like this:

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Could you turn this around and say, "he is loosing you" ?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know how they do it, but many addicts end up on disability thus able to collect a government check and live off of section 8 housing. (My BF included)

Originally Posted by Carol Star View Post
Let him live somewhere else so he will have to work to pay someone rent. Make him fly. My Mom did it to me and she helped me to be respponsible.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And can I just ask... How in ^*($)#!! does one go from HEROIN to VIDEO GAMES??? I do have to admit, I much prefer his DOC being the video games.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They both stimulate dopamine. The better they are, the more dopamine is released.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
They both stimulate dopamine. The better they are, the more dopamine is released.
And both are an easy escape from reality, right?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, being completely engrossed in a book is an easy escape from reality, too

I've done some research on video games because it does have an upside -- enhanced cognitive skills. It caught my attention because I'm a proponent of neurofeedback and it involves video games, too.

The bottom line is that the more adept a gamer becomes, the greater the reward. It's also what chemical addiction is all about.