Finally hit bottom, out of money!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally hit bottom, out of money!!!

The day I was always hoping would never come, denied that it wouldcome, has, unfortunately arrived. For the first time in my life, I do not have enough money to pay my bills.

I am so scared. I am so angry. I don't know what to do. I have not been able to focus or concentrate for almost 3 days now. The bottom fell out on Monday. I was barely making it already, but making it. I am self-employed childcare provider, and one of my moms lost her job monday, she has 2 kids. This is a $700 monthly loss in income for me, finally putting my in a position that I don't have enough money for my bills this month. This happened on the heals of losing a school age kid at $200 a month about a month ago. Grand total of $900 loss of monthly income.

I don't know what direction to go, and can't even think straight enough to try to figure it out.

I am tired of the stress, and I have cried for 3 straight days now.

Just needed to vent!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wuzzled, I'm sorry, these are hard times for so many right now.

My thoughts are to find a budget you can live with, and see where you fall short. Maybe contact your creditors and make arrangement to lower payments for 6 months to see if you can continue. Sometimes they will work with you on this (especially when you tell them the alternative may be bankruptcy, in which case they get nothing).

It's hard, but I have a feeling you will come up with something to see you through. Friends and family may help too, if you feel you can ask.

Keeping you in my prayers, that your needs will be met.

Hugs
Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this right now. I sorta know how you feel as I was told today that I was being cut back to 20 hours a week starting the 14th. And right here at Christmas too. But you do what you have to do and things will work out eventually. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too can relate to what you are going through. Our stories are very similar. I have a AH who relapsed (long before I KNEW he had) and all finally came to a head the weekend before Thanksgiving. Between having him removed from the house and losing what little income he did contribute and a struggling in-home day care.....I can't even pay attention. I am frustrated and angry at the situation I am in, but I know that some how...some way it will all work out. Know you are not alone. Good Luck
Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry to hear. i've been where you are and was able to find emergency assistance through churches in my area or maybe you could check with social services for references, where i live there are a lot of different agencies that may have the funds to help you with utilities, food and i've heard there maybe some that may help with past due rent.

i know it looks almost impossible but i'm sure you will get through this. your hp knows where you are and will guide you through
Old 12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh wuzzled, I am so sorry!

I am in the same boat struggling to pay my bills. Now my work cut my accounts down and I am barely making 1/2 what I was when I left my XABF, which was barely enough for me to live on as it was. I have been interviewing for another job and have not had much luck.

Proactive is the best policy when you can't make the bills. Call your utilities. Call your bank. Call them before they call you. You are not the first who has had this happen and you won't be the last. It sucks but you are not alone!

Most utilities have programs and options available to folks when they have a drastic drop in income or lose their jobs entirely. There are ways to pay half now and more later when you can get another job or get new clients in etc. It is no utility provider's intention to leave you cold, hungry, or homeless most especially since you care for children in your home!! Keep in mind that paying some money is better than no money.

They will all want as much as they can get from you of course, so before you call work out what you can afford if you pay everybody half and cut your grocery bill down as far as you can etc etc.

Someone else can chime in who may know more, but aren't the experts saying to pay the home, utilities, food, and healthcare first, then let the other bills sit if you have to.

Attitude is everything, and I'm struggling with it myself, but if you get down in the dumps about this and don't keep your chin up, you can really get depressed and not work your way out of it.

Hang in there just as I am and keep plugging along. You can do this, I know you can.

Alice
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wuzzled - I agree with all of the others suggestions. One thing that I may add - have you thought of picking up temporary employment for the holidays? I know stores are hiring for the next month or so. Also, waitressing at a decent restaurant nets a good deal of money. I did that all through college.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hang tough and hold your head high.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi wuzzled. when I am in that situation, i try to take it day by day. focus on basic needs first, then focus on paying for the house and the utilities, and let the credit card companies go to heck.

Any day a bill collector isn't knocking on your door is a good day. And any day you have enough to eat and a roof over your head is a good day.

Never forget that this situation is only temporary. You are going to get through this. You are a smart resourceful woman and you will work your way out of this. So just stay focused and do the next wise thing.

If you need help, there are non-profit organizations out there that can help you - St. Vincent de Paul, Catholic Community Services, Food banks.

I also like Dave Ramsey a lot. He can provide you with calm advice on what to do next. Check out his website.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Help for rental assistance:

Hate to hear about the struggles. I work for a non-profit in a program called HPRP (homeless prevention and rapid re-housing) in Texas. It is a federal grant funded by stimulus funds. It helps people who are going to be evicted and/or homeless or even on the verge of eviction/homelessness. It can help you with your rent. I believe these funds may be available in other states. In addition, our state has a 211 number for information regarding local non-profit agencies that can help with utilities, food, rent, etc. Try call it just as you would 411 for information. Let them know what kind of assistance you are seeking and they will direct you to the appropriate agency. Good Luck!! Hugs all around.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i guess the 211 no. works in more than just my state, good idea and have been very helpful to me in the past. i pray and believe that things will work out for you.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you ALL for your suggestions and support. I know I am not the only person struggling financially or that has ever been in this position, although it feels like it at times.

I am so grateful for having "cyber-friends" to share feelings and thoughts with and the support that is here. I have a difficult time talking to my friends and family.

I am going to try to take it one day at a time, and pray for strength from my HP. I keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason, I just wish I knew what it is.

Going to see credit counselor tomorrow, and perhaps a bankruptcy attorney next week. I am so very scared though.