The holidays...OT

Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The holidays...OT

Hi guys..... this is a little off topic, but I thought I'd share, because a lot of us have issues surrounding the holidays. I posted on anothers thread about putting our energy into the positive things that the holidays bring.... it can be difficult, but if you muddle through... it's worth it.

Here is a decorating Idea, for you all, and my end result this a.m.

Anyhow, I decided on a creative whim last night to do something 'different' with my decorating. I have a historic home, and decorate w/ lights in the windows, and white lights on the wreaths and such.

Over my breakfast bar, which seperates the kitchen and eating area, there is a curved wall...... like a frown. I gathered up some fishing wire, and clear push pins. Then I got different size round gold ornaments, gold snowflake ornaments (glittery), and clear ornaments. I strung the ornamants with fishing wire, and tacked them along the curved celing area above the breakfast bar. I stratigecly tacked them at different lenghts and stagared thme. On the top of the breakfast bar, I placed some greenery, (wreath garland) and laced it with twinkly white lights........

The end result? When you walk into the area, you see beautiful balls and snowflakes seeminly hanging in the air, glisting with the lights illuminating them from underneath.

You can do this in a bay window, or anwhere you have ceiling w/ a landing underneath.... (like my curved cealing over the breakfast bar).

And here was the best part... I walke downstairs to make the coffee this a.m. and my 12 year old son was waiting for his toast to finish. His big beautiful brown eyes were HUGE...... stareing at the ornaments....... his mouth was hanging open. He said, "I love the decorations mom.... how did you think of that, you can't even see the wire.......they look like they are floating in the air".................

See, even in the midst of some internal pain over here, my heart was over-joyed this a.m.--- my youngest child, who dosen't believe in santa or anything anymore, STILL....... was dazzeld and in awe over the decorations.

It made it all worth the work.

P.s.... I won't lie, it did take a while to do, but it is inexpensive, and absolutly stunning........ give it a try!

Love,
Cess
Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds really pretty. Thanks for the idea.

How about sharing other decorating tips?

One thing, I have done for years ~ rather than taking down pictures, on the walls and replacing them with wreaths or other decorations ~

I wrap each picture in a nice foil paper, tacking the paper to the back of the frame. Finish with a nice big bow. People have asked why I hang my gifts on the wall. It really is kinda neat.

The best part is that I don't have to find a place to store the pictures during the season.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cessy,
Can you post a picture?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Cessy,
Can you post a picture?
Hmmmm.

I will try. I'm not good at that. Last year when I lost my St. Bernard, I had to email a pic to freedom, and she posted it for me! LOL.

let me see if I can do this.........

Love,
Cess
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh I'd love to see it too. *jumps up and down with anticipation*

Cessy and Pac, you have inspired me to get going with decking the halls.

We downsized when we moved this year and I gave a lot of my bigger Christmas stuff away. Plus we are heading south for Christmas and New Years, so it didn't make sense to put up a tree for a couple of weeks and then take it down as soon as we come home.

So I am getting a bunch of small poinsettias to put on either side of my hearth and in my entrance way and bought some ceramic angels that hold candles and the light shines through star shaped holes, and put them on my mantel.

I will treat myself to a nice Christmas centerpiece and a wreath for the door and call it "enough". Before I go away, I will give my poinsettias to my neighbours and they can enjoy them through the season.

It's fun to improvise and to do something less traditional.

I remember the years where I was just uninspired because of sadness, but when I put even a few things up, it always made me feel just a little better. I have finally reached the point where I enjoy Christmas once again.

I hope others will share ideas here too.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cessy sent me her pic, so here is her lovely Christmas bulb display. I got a sneak preview and I just love it!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a sweet post to read first thing this morning! Thank you for sharing it Cess! And thanks Ann for technical support!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BBD

Thanks for sharing that. It looks beautiful and elegant..I'm going to do it in the bay window in my kitchen....I love decorating and it always takes me days to get ready for Xmas....thanks agin, Bonnie
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I absolutely love it. It's tasteful and festive. And it makes a Wow statement.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

cessy, It's Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I Love It! Great Job Cessy!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Gorgeous, Cess! Thanks for sharing. I want to be in the holiday spirit, but can't say that I am... maybe this will help.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Truly beautiful! Friday is usually when my gourds and pumpkins and corn stalks come down and Christmas starts going up...I love the idea and I hope you will understand that imitation is the greatest form of flattery Your home looks beautiful Cessy! Thanks for letting us know about your son's reaction too - that warmed my heart!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greeteachday View Post
Truly beautiful! Friday is usually when my gourds and pumpkins and corn stalks come down and Christmas starts going up...I love the idea and I hope you will understand that imitation is the greatest form of flattery Your home looks beautiful Cessy! Thanks for letting us know about your son's reaction too - that warmed my heart!
Go right ahead, you'll love the end result, (actually much prettier in person, where as you can see the lights reflecting... and the 3D image)....

My sons reaction is primaraly why I posted, It made my entire day. Sometimes taking the time to watch others enjoy the holdiayseason, is a way we can take the focus off of our own pain, and find the joy within the holiday season ourselves.......
Even though we are supposed to care about US, there is immense joy in seeing others happy, especially children, animals, and those less fortunate.

I'm very grateful for the blessings in my life....... I hope some others here can count their blessings also. I know how hard it is when you are in pain.

Love,
Cess
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So pretty! Thanks for the post. You are a true motivator and I will try to follow your lead. I'm going to look for the gifts in my life and make myself a little joy and then bask in it.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey. I went to Costco today and found a big sack of those large light weight plastic ornaments. Mine are red and silver. I'm going to hang them in the entry way to my living room. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really excited for Christmas. It's such a magical time for children and as parents we have the opportunity to do little things that can make the holidays really special. Even if we are single parents, with drug addicts wreaking havoc on our lives, we can still make the holidays special for our children.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
Hey. I went to Costco today and found a big sack of those large light weight plastic ornaments. Mine are red and silver. I'm going to hang them in the entry way to my living room. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really excited for Christmas. It's such a magical time for children and as parents we have the opportunity to do little things that can make the holidays really special. Even if we are single parents, with drug addicts wreaking havoc on our lives, we can still make the holidays special for our children.
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ghug3

I'm glad you are looking for the silver lining in the holiday 'cloud'.
Love,
Cess