update

Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

update

I have been sitting here reading things and not wanting to do an update on my son for fear of having others lose hope but it is what it is...addiction.

my son joey, clean for 22 months, relapsed. He got caught in work so no more job. The relapse lasted 2 weeks so once again he is clean but DAMN.

So now he is clean for 1 month!!!

BETTER TIMES AHEAD?!!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like the better times are here...He has picked himself up and moved forward that's great news! I hope you were able to not relpase with him and take each day one at a time enjoying each moment. Hugs and good thoughts that he will find another job soon.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think there is more hope in your post than you realize. Your son did relapse, that's true, but he's back to life rather than back to his addiction after those two weeks.

Sometimes it's not how long you can stay on the top of that summit, but how quickly and doggidly you pick up your own a** and claw your way back up there when you fall, and we all fall even a little now and again

One of my favorite quotes:

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." ~ George Chakiris

Alice
Old 11-14-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Try not to get wrapped up in numbers. Numbers are just numbers.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((((Rashue))))

awwwww, sweetie...2 weeks was almost exactly the length of MY relapse and it showed me that I really, really didn't want to do that **** any more. The fact that he jumped right back into recovery and has a month clean, to me, is a very good sign. Sometimes we just need to find out the hard way that "yep, I'm still an addict, dammit".

Huge hugs to you, because I know what my relapse did to my dad. The good thing is, you both have strong foundations of recovery, already, to build on and you can keep moving forward.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-14-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BBD

rahsue, Hi and I have missed you. Youe story is what happened here. Chris relapsed for about 2 weeks, put himself into a mental health unit for 10 days and is now waiting to get into a VA rehab. He was called to go a week ago but had started a roofing job and couldn't leave the people with an undone roof.....so he's waiting for the next opening. Hopefullu these young men have learned from their 2 week binges that thats not what they really want for themselves. I'm just praying here and will add you to my list....big hugs and thanks for your story. Hang tight, Bonnie
Old 11-14-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

rahsue,
I am so sorry to hear of your son's relapse, but think of that 22 month relapse as "money in the bank". At least your son's relapse only was two weeks and he didn't disappear into the streets.

It is discouraging hearing about these relapses, as I've also talked about mine. But we hope and pray that their path is getting closer to the one that will lead then to the
path to success.

Prayers wishes and hugs for you and your family.

Bruce
Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

thanks everyone, I am still keeping myself free of the drama ( thanks to my SR family with all their support)
Anytime I feel overwhelmed I remember all of you and I know I can get through it.

I hope and pray for all of you to find peace and contentment
Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Rahsue, don't you dare ever be afraid to post here. We take the good with the bad and we're here for everyone no matter what.

I'm sorry he relapsed but see it as a very good sign that he got right back to his recovery.

It's good to see you, sending great big hugs and prayers for your boy who is doing just fine....just like his mama is.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

what would I do without you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Sorry to hear of his relapse. One thing I have learned however, as both a recovered addict and recovering Codie is that the shorter the relapse, the stronger I want to be clean. For me, it meant that my addictions (to drugs and my addict) are much weaker, and my will to be clean is that much stronger. Your son's behavior seems the same way. Take care now!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

6 months ago, my daughter told me she was celebrating a year clean... she was afraid to tell me ... because according to my calculations it was 2 years. This taught me what is important is that they are clean, and not what is on the clock. 1 month clean after a relapse.... that is awesome. Am I looking forward to the 2 year mark - yes, but it is not the most important thing. - jeepgirl
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so glad that you posted. I am struggling with my son and rather than interpret your post as a failure, I take hope in the fact that the relapse was not longer. My son is recently home " and wanting to get sober" but hasn't started to work on this yet. In fact I am most certain that he is still using though I have not checked his room, account, etc. and pat myself on the back a bit for it This morning I will ask him to leave, either to rehab or a place of his choosing. I hope that he chooses sobriety for himself. However, if he does not I will be okay, just iike the others who have gone before me... Thanks again for your honesty and everyone else who posts as well. It allows me to feel a connection to someone pursuing a healthy way of dealing with addiction.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes a 2 week relapse and a loss of a job is tough, but I had an 8 month relapse that damn near killed me. I am with everyone else - the fact that he is back sober so soon is a good sign.

Hang in there.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((Rahsue)))
Only us here would see a two week relapse as possible good news, huh?
I think when our loved ones are sober, we always have a bit of fear of "what happens if?"

The "if" came and he picked himself back up and got on the right path.

I think thats wonderful news!

Its not a race being won or lost, its a lifetime commitment.

Glad you stopped in and shared

(((Hugs)))
Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
grateful rca

im glad you shared too. i am sorry about the relapse and the loss of his job. i think its a good sign too, it only lasted 2wks. sometimes a relapse is really hard to come back from. to me, it shows that he really do want to recover.

it took me a few relapses before i was convinced that using drugs was NOT something i wanted for my life. it took relapse for me to realize just how conning and baffling addiction really is. it took me to relapse to realize that i was powerless over my addiction and that it was not something i could do a little of. it took relapse for me to really be able to tell the difference between living HIGH on drugs and sober living.

though relapse is not a requirement, i think sometimes it could be the wake up call that we need. i'm so happy to hear he's on the right track again and i pray that he continues on his road to recovery.

remember, we are family here, for the good times and the not so good times. we're in this together and i also think your post is full of hope.