He is coming home.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He is coming home.

Wow it has been awhile, but I thought I would send everyone an update on Joey.

When I think back 7 months, it seems like a lifetime ago. I guess it was about 10 weeks into rehab Joey had a slip up. Since that time he has really taken the program seriously and worked very hard on his recovery. He had a court hearing last month with the same judge that has been following his case, and he couldn't get over how much Joey has changed, he said I wish I would have taken a picture of you 6 months ago (I wanted to whip out one for him). He turned 18 in September and has been coming home on weekends the last few months. We attend two meetings while he is home, I go with him to the Sunday meeting because it is to far for me to drop him off and turn around and come home. These are AA meetings not sure why his program wants him to attend the AA meetings, because he is an addict, but whatever works. I have really come to enjoy going with him and have found the group is really embracing Joey (He is the baby of the group). He has found a sponsor he really likes a guy about 24 years old and lives a few blocks from us. We are really lucky to have a 521 recovery club here (this is were the Sunday meetings are) I have to tell you the first few times in there I kept thinking this place looks so familiar, then someone pointed out to me that the club was the old forty and eight club (an after hours bar) and I thought WOW how ironic is that a place I use to get smashed in, I now bring my son so he can stay clean. The club has recovery dances most Saturday nights and Joey has been to two of them so far, it is a great place for him to stay clean and meet other people who want to stay clean. It is open 24/7 for anyone that just needs a place to hangout. He shares at most meetings and has been asked to speak at a rehab about an hour away from here. He is coming home for good Nov 20 th and looking forward to getting back to work so he can pay off his fines, we will also be looking at getting his record sealed so he can apply for collage. He really wants to go back to school, but he is torn between living at home or on campus he knows it will be hard to live on campus and stay clean. I just tell him first things first and lets get the fines paid and see what tomorrow brings. I am really proud of him, it has and is going to be a long road and he makes it very clear how much he misses his drugs, but he also lets us know if it weren't for the rehab he would be dead and he wants to be clean. The only advise I can give him is something I heard on Dr. Phil: if you want to be successful then surround your self with successful people. I can't help but have that fear in me of what if he goes back, but I know he is now 18 and I have done my job of raising him and darn it I have done a good job, the rest is up to him. ((((hugs everyone))))
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is fabulous news.
The rest of his life is indeed, up to him.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What great news!!! I'm glad to hear he, and YOU, are doing well.

My only advice is, if he comes home, remember to let him do his recovery, while you do yours. It's hard (I'm finding out JUST how hard this is), but it's essential.

I am really happy for both of you!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Good luck to you and Joey. Good story.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love good news first thing in the morning.

Joey sounds well on his way to a better path, and I can feel your joy.

Hugs
Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Julie, I've been thinking about you lately. Now I know why........Good News was on it's way! Seriously, that is wonderful news, and just as Amy said, you'll need to leave Joey's recovery to him and only work on your own.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BBD

Julie~Thats fantastic news. I'm sure your resting so much better at night lately. Thanks for the update and hugs to your son for working so hard. Bonnie
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a great post full of inspiration and hope for all of us.

Prayers and continued success in Joey's recovery!

I, for one, am so happy for the entire family because it sounds like he really is serious about moving forward. Just great news!!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey my friend nice to hear good news. You are a good mother and did a great job. I know prayers and hard work made it all happen and I am so glad Joey has his life back.
Keep us posted I miss hearing from you.
Love
Maggiemac
Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wonderful news. Sounds like both of you have worked hard on recovery!