the end result

Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the end result

My 37 yo ASD is in the hospital with a extremely dangerous MRSA infection. MRSA in the blood, and face is covered with MRSA, can't open eyes, may go blind, could even die if her weakened body can't fight this. We have been detached with love but this is the result. Not that we could have cured, controlled etc but it is so sad... Has a warrant out so even though a church is willing to send her to rehab (again) they can't do anything to help her because of the warrant. If she does survive she will be on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. We have to keep this from her 9 yo daughter whom we adopted. She has not seen or talked to her Mom for over 2 yrs and she certainly can't see her now. Her face and mouth are so swollen she can hardly talk. Please say a prayer for all who suffer...
Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Copperpenny

I am sending up a prayer for her, for her daughter and your family. It is just so sad to watch our children self destruct. :praying

Gotahavfaith
Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've certainly got my prayers, Penny. I'm so very sorry. Thank you for taking such good care of your little granddaughter. ((Hugs))
Old 11-02-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((copperpenny)))

Sending many hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Amy
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MRSA infection is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria — often called "staph." MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

Most MRSA infections occur in hospitals or other health care settings, such as nursing homes and dialysis centers. It's known as health care-associated MRSA, or HA-MRSA. Older adults and people with weakened immune systems are at most risk of HA-MRSA. More recently, another type of MRSA has occurred among otherwise healthy people in the wider community. This form, community-associated MRSA, or CA-MRSA, is responsible for serious skin and soft tissue infections and for a serious form of pneumonia.

MRSA infection - MayoClinic.com
Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, Unfortunately I know too much about MRSA. I have worked in Infection Control for 26 yrs. This is CA-MRSA, probably related to her profession and her drug use. I have not seen a MRSA infection on the face as bad as this. If you have ever seen a severe herpes zoster that's dissemniated it looks like that. It's horrendous. I am concerned about her immune status if you know what I mean.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my! ((Hugs)) and prayers.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by copperpenny View Post
Yes, Unfortunately I know too much about MRSA. I have worked in Infection Control for 26 yrs. This is CA-MRSA, probably related to her profession and her drug use. I have not seen a MRSA infection on the face as bad as this. If you have ever seen a severe herpes zoster that's dissemniated it looks like that. It's horrendous. I am concerned about her immune status if you know what I mean.
Hello Copper, I'm sorry that your family is going through this, sending out my prayers and hugs..........

I don't understand the MRSA thing though.... how does that relate to drug use? Just so I understand..... I know that 1 in 3 people carry MRSA in their nose naturally, did she have lesions or anything from drug use that the staff migrated to?

I was just curious... not that it makes any difference to you wanting prayers etc, just always wanting to learn about those kinds of things.

Blessings and prayers to you and your family.

Love,
cessy
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Penny, prayers to you and your family ((((( hugs))))))
Old 11-03-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((copperpenny)))) I am so sorry to hear this about your daughter and my prayers go out for her, you and, her daughter. Do want to say that I think her daughter ought to at least know her mom is very ill. If your daughter were to die this could greatly damage the child.

My dad died when my sister was a young child and my mom refused to take her to see my dad before he died and my sister has never to this day forgiven my mom for that and she is the worst addict of all my siblings and think her resentment of this is a very huge contributing factor.

My brother got MRSA infection on his hand in jail. The guards said it was a self inflicted wound and would not let him see a doctor. When he was finally seen the doctor immediately hospitalized him and did surgery on the hand. The doctor said he could have lost his hand. If my mom had not kept calling the jail about his condition he probably would have. It took over a week before she could get anyone to listen to her.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry to hear this and you and yours are in my prayers with an extra special prayer for her.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sometimes its hard for me to accept that a higher power than me has control of these kinds of situations. All I need to do is accept that things are going to work out the way they should - even if it is painful and I don't understand it. I know that this will be ok. This is a consequence of terrible choices and nothing more.

I'm so glad you have been detached with love so to avoid a front, passenger-side seat to all the devastation that she would have driven you and your husband and your beautiful daughter through. I'm so glad you saved the little girl from the lifestyle.

Please keep us posted.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sending you and your family positive energy and our prayers!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

MRSA update

Thanks for thoughts and prayers, it has helped. Finally started to improve last night, both eyes and all of face was now involved but the Infectious Disease doctor took over, thank heaven. he increased her Vancomycin, put her on steroids, packed her face in ice. Opthomologist was to see her yesterday but the prima donnas would not take her because she has no insurance. The ID doc called them back and raked them... She may need her eye debrided, from the inside, as the CT scan shows tissue damage in the orbit, in the cone.

to answer a question, yes MRSA is very prominent in jails, epidemic like. She probably got colonized in jail or from contact with a colonized person or from IV drug use although crack is her doc.

Yes, I agree about her daughter knowing she is sick, this will probqbly come this w/e if Mom continues to improve. Right now her face is too distorted for her to see. Mom is on Dilaudid 2mg every 4 hrs., and a Fentanyl patch, heavy duty pain meds but she is alert and still in pain (eye).

Now, comes the tough part. If she con't to improve, she has nowhere to go, will need IV antibiotics for 4-6 weeks after discharge from hosp. Hope she can get on Medicaid. Church that is willing to help her can't until her felony warrant is cleared up etc. You know where I am going with this... She is going to call the judge's asst. and plead her case, I don'.t think even the jail would want her anytime soon... but should we let her come home to con't antibiotics, then do jail or whatever, then go to rehab? Oh what a tangled web we weave...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BBD

Oh Penny, My prayers are with all of you right now. That is so sad and you are right in the middle of making decisions for her~~yourself and your family. I'm sending positive energy your way and lots and lots of prayers...Hugs hon, Bonnie
Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

prayers coming your way for the entire family.

unfortunately I agree with c.o., only because of the fact that MRSA is so contagious.

my DH had it about 4 yrs ago, (and he is NOT an A) best of our knowledge he got it from his sister who probably got it visiting their mom in the nursing home.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a sad and difficult situation...Prayers for your SD and your whole family. I think speaking with a social worker at the hospital sounds like a good suggestion.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

not eligible for medicaid

Case mgmt. worked her case today and she is not eligible for Medicaid. She is improving, optho thinks left eye will recover... She will need weeks of Vanco so she will have to stay in the hosp. in the long-term (dump) unit. She can't go anywhere as she would not even be able to get Vanco at home, no coverage, no Medicaid. So, the hospital will write off probably over 100,000 in bills if she stays. She is now on Percocet, off Dilaudid and Fentanyl patch. Now it will get really hard for her. My husband is doubtful she will be able to do all she needs to do to get to rehab. I want to have hope for her and I do but... She had long periods of being clean, 21 and 17 mos. when her child was little and she lived with us. She has had some male visitors (friends), yea right, one or more just happens to be married. We are pulling back some, she is over the hump, we will detach with love again, there is nothing else we can do at this point. Not telling child at this point. If her Mom bolts again it would be too painful for her to lose her Mom for the 10th time. Prayers for all addicts and their families.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
turning red!

((((copperpenny))))
At least you have your answers on what step is next since she has to stay in the hospital for now. That is so sad and hope it will give her the electrochoc to start a new life, for her sake and her loved ones.
Thinking of you all
Carine
Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad the decision of where she was to go for the long-term vanc treatment was taken out of your hands. I have MRSA - got it when I was a nurse, before I became an A, and had to do the IV vanc treatment. I agree she needs to be somewhere that someone is taking care of her.

Sending my hugs and prayers for you, her, and the rest of the family - especially her daughter, who is blessed to have you!

Amy