Big Setback

Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Big Setback

Hello SR Family,
I know I haven't posted much recently but I still try to read everyone's posts. I have had a big setback tonight and am upset.
Since I moved to the new city for my Master's degree, the roomate I met (who was a stranger) has quickly grown into one of my best friends. I moved in with her in May (after finding her on Craigslist...I will never do that again, its way too dangerous, especially for a woman).
In June I rescued a beautiful female cat who I love with all my heart.
Now, in October, my roomate's daily sinus headaches have been determined by her doctor to be from my cat. She's never been allergic before. They said she developed the allergy and it could be to just the breed of cat I have.

She doesn't expect me to get rid of the cat (and I wouldn't) so I'm sure you can guess the next conversation we had tonight.
She was sweet about it and she's doing what she has to so she can take care of her health, and I respect that.
But it is so upsetting to think that less than six months living here, finally settling down, feeling like I can call a place home with no drama, I have to leave again.
I don't know anyone in this town and 99 percent of the people in my graduate program are already married. I'm not looking on CL again, I don't want to be murdered.
So, I'm certainly at a crossroads. My lease is good til Dec.
I'm going to browse my university's classifieds and perhaps put a flyer up on my department's bulletin board (if I'm allowed).
But I'm definitely nervous about my future.

I would consider taking up a job so I could pay the other part of rent and live alone, but I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Hypothyroidism, so expending more energy is not an option at this point.

I don't want to make a million excuses...I just need a hug.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by breakingfree88; 10-29-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. where are you going to school you can p.m. me if you are more comfortable answering that in private.

love,
Cess
Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know you love the cat, but that seems like an awful lot of accommodation for a cat. Seriously. Think about it. Is she really worth it? Really?

(I'm an animal lover, too.... I've got a big Golden that I love with my whole heart so I do understand.)
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Although it seems like a lot to go through for cat, I know its not my job to prove to anyone that I am worth having around. For whatever reason, my roomate has decided that its not worth it. Personally, I feel that as soon as I leave she'll realise that she's still sick from allergies and will have to take medication or get allergy shots. Most people are allergic to more than one thing. But just like the addicts in my life, I don't want to waste my time PROVING that I'm good enough.
I love my cat with all my heart. She is one of the only living things in my life that has never betrayed me. She has such a beautiful personality and she is very intuitive. Caring for her relieves my stress and helps me feel happy.
It doesn't matter what goes on during my day, when I pull up to my apartment and see her in the window meowing it takes all the stress away.
I would be...and am...happy to move if that's what it takes to keep her in my life.
She's drug free and drama free.
All that she asks is a clean litter box, fresh water and a bowl full of crunchies.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear ya....loud and clear! I love kitties too.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I understand too, I lost my Toby in July, 19 years old and it was his time, but it just broke my heart. If I had to choose, I'd never have given him up.

Do your part and trust that the outcome will be better for you and your cat.

I sympathize with your roommate, allergies are terrible, but changing residences doesn't mean that you can't still be friends, yes?

Good luck, and give that kitty a big hug from me.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Thank you Ann and tp! Its wonderful to meet fellow cat lovers.
Ann, I had a dear Toby too. He was a scottish fold that stayed home w/ my parents when I left for college. I loved him with all my heart and unfortunately he was taken too soon.
I still think of him and miss him so much. It shattered my heart when he passed away. 19 years is a very long time. I'm sure that was so difficult for you.
My cats (and horses, and dogs) are my family members. They're so special.
Thank you for your hug to Mu! I'm attaching a picture of her. She sends you a meow and a kiss.

Last edited by breakingfree88; 11-04-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: had to put my polydactyl baby in here!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Try not to look at it as a setback. I have found that the worst things turn out to be for the best in the long-run.

How about student housing? Universities usually have dedicated housing for grad students and maintain lists of local rentals where students have rented before. YES, please stay AWAY from Craigslist.

If you're in Baltimore, send me a PM and I'll try to hook you up.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by breakingfree88 View Post
She's drug free and drama free.
All that she asks is a clean litter box, fresh water and a bowl full of crunchies.
This is the best kind of "friend" to have.

I gave up having a cat once because my 2nd husband was allergic! I missed having a cat way too much. He was a druggie and bipolar, marriage only lasted a year. First thing I did after divorce was go get a CAT! Have had cats ever since, and will never give up having a cat again.

Cute kitty! If I knew how, I'd post pictures of my cats (3), doggy too!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

wuzzled,
I found out if you go to imageshack.us (the link is below the box when you're posting a reply) and register, you can upload the images to their website, then right click on them and copy the image address. Then, when posting, click the little square that looks like a picture of a mountain with a sun. Paste the image address in there and voila! Instant pics! I'd love to see your cats and dog! Thanks everyone for the sweet comments.

I totally agree. I'm going to check w/ student housing tomorrow and see what they've got.
I'm farther south than Boston, Learn, but thank you very much!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

she's a beautiful kitty.

okay, so you're not in the MD area? if you are, let me know as I have a friend who trying to rent part of a house.