Another update on my brother

Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another update on my brother

Im very sad as I give you this update........My brother has been feeling very tired lately so he went to get some blood work done and it came back as him having hep C. He knows its his own fault for sharing dirty needles he knows its his own fault for using Heroin in the first place, but after being clean for almost 13 months that was the last thing he wanted to hear. He hasnt talked about it much, but he was suppose to see someone today to find out how bad it was and about treatments and he said he is going to reschedule and he isnt ready to deal with it.........I feel so very hurt for him, he is only 22 years old he is trying to change, working 2 jobs now, going to meetings daily, living in a halfway house, just met a girl. and then this........just kinda stinks. I guess there is still good news........he is still clean and sober!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your brother's diagnoses. But the good news is it's not the end of the world. I had a good friend who had HepC and was about a decade clean and sober. He just took good care of himself and was extra careful.

How to Live with Hepatitis - Hepatitis Foundation International (Health Travel, Hep B, Hep C, Chronic Hep and Cirrhosis)

Forum on Hepatitis and HIV Coinfection: CAN I LIVE A NORMAL LIFE WITH HCV/23 year old begging for the truth
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Being clean and sober is quite an accomplishment.

I know this has to be hard accept now that he's doing well, but there are treatments for Hep C, and given he is no longer using, I imagine he's a good candidate.

There's often the "aftermath" to experience when you are dealing with addiction. This is something that although difficult to swallow, is manageable, as long as he is willing. Meetings will help him, as Hep C is not that unheard of with addicts.

Hang in there, you and he are in my prayers.

(((Hugs)))
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your brother and my daughter. She was recently diagnosed with Hep C, too. I feel terrible for her and know she's hurting. I consider it a precious gift that she's still here, putting one foot in front of the other. When she gets down, I give her a hug and a smile. Sometimes it's through tears for both of us.

She called me about an hour ago, ranting about a store not ordering her favorite hair color after she requested it. She knows my limit for rants is about one minute, and got it all out pretty fast. When she thanked me for listening then asked if we wanted her to bring home tacos, I had a huge smile on my face. Last week she took me to lunch for the first time and I'm smiling again thinking about it.

Her physical life is a mess right now but she keeps working on her emotional and spiritual well being. You're right about there being good news with your brother
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Haven't posted here at SR for a very long time but here goes. Sorry to here about your brother having hep c. I have had hep c for a very long time. It's not the end of the world. I tried to do the treatment for hep c and could not do it. I tried it for 2 weeks and could not handle it. I told my Dr I could not do the treatment and asked him how long would I have to live. He kind of laughed at me and said as long as I did not do the pit falls I should live for a long time. The pit falls being drugs and alcohol. He said alcohol was the worst thing I could be doing having hep c. The good news is that was 20 years ago. So tell your brother not to freak out and is going to be OK. Good luck to you and your brother. Logo.