Money?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Money?

It's been mentioned on here many times that our beloved addicts are getting money from somewhere to support their drug/alcohol use, and we as family can only speculate where that money comes from esp. if the addict does not have a job.

So, does anybody know how much money an addict needs daily? I know this can vary, but what amount is in the ballpark? If needing to borrow $20 is a red flag that the addict is wanting to buy some cocaine, just how far does that $20 go in a day? Or is that just for the next couple of hours? Or does it depend on the drug?

$20 a day? $100 a day? $200 a day?

Sojourner
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think my AH was getting a $30 bag of H every for 12 hours - according to a source I had . this was when he was on the run with no job or acess to my money. Not sure if thats true though....
Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Optimist

I think it can vary widely depending on a number of factors...some drugs are more expensive than others, some habits are larger than others, and prices can vary depending on where you live. My husband was using $100/day, but had a job, which was where he got the money from...
Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He can ask to borrow $20.00 from you and $10.00 from the next person and so on and so on until he gets what he needs to supply his habit for the day. Someone who uses 7-10 bags of Heroin a day can spend $70-100 per day on the habit.

The sources of income come from stealing from others, stores, pawning items, cutting grass on the side, doing odd jobs, employment, reselling the clothes they stole from stores back onto the street, prostituting themselves (yes, men included), etc., etc.

The possibilities of making money to support their habit are endless. I try not to think about it. It actually disgusts me when I do think about what RABF was up to in his active addiction.

All I know is that if they are unemployed, they are doing something illegal to get the drug.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My daughter once told me her BF at the time, needed $100/day to
"get the sick off" and 2x that to have a good time.

I do not think her own habit was to this extent. What do I know?