i'm new!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
llm

i'm new!

Hello... I found out about 3 weeks ago my son is an addict. I'm still shocked, upset, sick, in disbelief etc, etc. Every time I look at him I feel sad. I don't trust anything he says or does. I don't know what to do!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Welcome llm! I'm sorry for what brings you here, but I'm glad that you have found this place. My addict was my now ex husband, but there are lots of moms on here that are just the best people you have ever met. You are not alone.

As far as what to do, well....breath. That's right just breath. I'm a firm believer in baby steps. Then read. Read as much as you can, maybe find a naranon meeting to attend if you can, but in the mean time, read some more. That's just the start. But like I said, baby steps.

I just wanted to respond because Sunday night can be a little slow. Others will be along.

Hugs and Prayers llm.

B
Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome llm,

I am sorry for what brought you here. Read as much of the information here as possible and try to find NarAnon or AlAnon meetings to attend, they have helped me alot. I am the mother of a 29 yr old addict son - it's been a long, difficult road. There is tons of support here and you'll take the steps you can and make decisions as best you can when you are ready.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, llm! I am sorry for the pain and turmoil of your son's addiction that brought you here. If you stick around and read, posts, stickies, recommended books, etc., it can really help you.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

llm, Welcome to SR! As the others have suggested, stay awhile, read the others post, the stickies at the top. If possible get yourself to Alanano/Naranon meetings. f2f meetings literally saved my life.

I am the mom of a 30yo crack AD (addict daughter). It is NOT an easy road, however you are not walking it alone, we here at SR completely understand and will walk with you. (sharing our experience, strength and hope) (even our fears and tears)

Hugs from one mom to another.
Chris
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

just wanted to chime in and welcome you. i agree with the others. the addict in my life is my husband, i too am a recoverying addict. this place has been a life line for me. keep reading, posting and attending meetings, it does get better. you and your family are in my prayers.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by llm
I don't trust anything he says or does.
I think this is a healthy stance to take. It does nothing to help anyone for us to trust someone who is doing untrustworthy things.

Let his actions speak for him. Take care of yourself and welcome to Sober Recovery!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and please know you're not alone. My son is an addict also. I have found a lot of wisdom and experience on this site, so keep reading.
As others have mentioned, it is so important to find an al anon group and attend the meetings.
Remember the three C's regarding addiction:
You did not Cause it
You can not Control it
You can not Cure it.

Addicts are experts at manipulating and lying, so trust your gut. Love your son, but don't take the blame for his actions. We're here for you.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR you have found a wonderful support group here. I am the mother of a 22 AS crack addict. You and your family are in my prayers. Please keep reading the postings you will gain much knowledge here. It is devestating to learn your child is an addict, the distrust is all part of the addiction. ((((( hugs))))))
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I just want to welcome you and hope we can offer some hope here, if not for your son, for you.

It's no picnic being the mom of an addict and you've come to a good place where people understand because we've been where you are.

Hugs