Part 2

Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Part 2

Ok here it is. Don't know quite where to begin so I will begin with a phone call I received back in June. It was Katie. (For those of you who don't remember, Katie was my son's last gf before going to prison for 3 years after he kicked her in the butt! Son spent 3 years in prison for sposal abuse).

She asked how he was, and if he could talk with her. I told her first he wasn't at my house, and secondly I didn't think it was a good idea anyway. She proceeded to tell me she wasn't feeling well. I said I was sorry, hoped she got well soon, and with that said I would call her back later. I had no intention of calling her back or even telling my son she had called.

Three weeks later, my son called to tell me a mutual gf called him to say Katie had passed away! OMG, I was devastated to hear that because of the way I had just brushed her off! I actually liked her when she was sober. Poor thing, she just never did pull it together and died because of a combination of drugs and booze. She would have been 44 years old in November.

Now about me.

I have been sick, really sick, with SHINGLES!! For those of you who have never had them, take my advice and get the Shingles Vaccine. It has been 3 months since I first got ill, and it has been a living hell! I was given vicodine for pain, along with another pain killer, but was too afraid to take either. I was afraid because I remember the doc telling me they could be addictive! YIPES, just what I needed.

OK, over the shingles. Next day get the call from my granddaughter who is still in rehab. Remember, I agreed to pay her storage as long as she stayed in rehab?? Well, it's been a year now with a couple of weeks off in between 'cause her 2-1/2 year old had a Herbes breakout! OMG!

Next time I heard from her it was because she wanted us to take her child. Apparently, the child had been staying with the paternal grandma. GD finds out the grandma is doing drugs!! They yank the child out of there place her with the GD, but tell her baby cannot remain for long, and if they couldn't find a place for her with relatives she would be placed in a foster home.

Remember, GD is in rehab because court said this or child was going to be taken away.

After a short discussion with Mr. Dev, we decided it was the right thing to do. Social service came to visit to check out our home. Not only did she like the home, she loved the lunch Mr. Dev prepared for her and also the bottle of homemade wine, and homemade vinegar he gave her. Also wanted the recipe for the homemade bread!! Geeze, can we get on with the paperwork!

We then had to be fingerprinted and confess any crimes we had committed. That took a while! Just kidding.

OK, we are good to go we passed all tests with flying colors. We actually are excited about having the child here with us. Next call I get is from social worker saying, oops, just found out there is another child in the works! OH NO! Yep, going to have the child in November!! (It was the 2-week-leave that did it! Baby was contagious so couldn't stay in rehab. Went to stay with Grandda for 2 weeks and just had to see the old boyfriend.)

Anyone want to hear what's next??? Chapter 3 coming. Just too much to tell in one sitting. Ya'll will start drifting off!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let me iterate what Dev said about the Shingles vaccine.

If you have had Chicken Pox, you will likey get it at some point in your life.
Imagine being in never-ending labor, for weeks.

Depends on which nerve it sets, people lose their vision, an ear or can become permanently disfigured.

I never appreciated it, till it was me.

Note to Dev...waiting for chapter #3. Holey moley.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

First of all~~I will never drift off reading anything you post Dev. Seems like life at your house is a little like here. I never know whats up till the day arrives. Just by reading your post and knowing how you can make light of some tough situations tells me you'll do fine with a child living with you..Holy smokes~~~I really do admire you and Mr. Dev for taking this on. A little bit older~~more wiser.........will = a very happy child and certainly keep the two of you on your toes. Can't wait for the rest of this story.. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good grief, Dev, I got dizzy trying to follow what happened...my processing problem not your posting clarity, lol.

Let's see here...

Prayers for all who loved Katie. It is so sad to see a life end so soon. You did nothing wrong by detaching, I think you already know that.

And...how lucky that child is to be cared for by you and Mr. Dev. And am I jumping ahead to guess that November baby may come to your care too? If so, I will have to search for diapers with high thread count, maybe bamboo diapers?

I believe that God takes us to where we are supposed to be, Dev, and all this has some good purpose that will be revealed as it unfolds. And you and Mr. Dev are some special people to have all that love in your hearts.

Big Hugs :ghug3
Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The DO have bamboo diapers!!! We're in luck here!!!!

Pretend this is an informative link and not a commercial one, okay, I could get fired, lol

Bamboozle Bamboo Fitted Cloth Diaper by Tots Bots - Cloth Diapers - Bummis
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dev, Wow! You & Mr Dev will be blessings to both those little ones!!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all you brave people that read that post! I almost fell asleep writing it!

Now a few comments to your responses:

First, of course, is to Ann!! OMG, Ann, I have to go to Scotland to buy those wonderful diapers! The only bad thing about them is, the child might love them so much, one could never "potty" train them. Oh, gosh, that reminds me I thought my son would be married before he was potty trained! There must be an easier way!!

Bonnie, you are too sweet! Thank you! It's either laugh or cry, and I decided to laugh because I spent too many years crying!

Outolunch: You are not kidding! Mine started with pains in my head and neck to the point I had to go for a brain scan. Then the pain went into my left arm, shoulder, back. I thought I was having a heart attack. Woke up in the middle of the night, screaming in pain! Mr. Dev, God love him, asked if he needed to call 711??? I said, yes, and get me a Slurppy while you got them on the phone!

Remember ladies, be careful what you wish for. "Devastated said, Oh I wish I had a baby!" YIPES! I knew I should have wished for the lottery numbers instead! LOL

Oh, yes, thank you all for your votes of confidence that Mr. Dev and I could raise a child, and maybe do a half-way decent job this time!

Hugs, Dev
Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
BBD

Your too funny Dev. Better start those vitimins now. Babies are so time consuming. I have 4 grandsons and spend alot of time with them...They exhaust me. I can't remember~~~girl or boy?? This might be alot more fun than talking about addiction all the time...Big hugs~
Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

G*D love ya, Gal!
You have a heart as big as Texas and growing still! ::ghug3
I give you tons of credit. I'm not sure I could do it at my age.

And I agree. Your detachment from Katie was healthy.
None of us are fortune tellers. We all do the best we can at the time.
You did the right thing at the time. Remember that.

I do look forward to part three!
Your stories are always cliffhangers, and well worth the waiting!

Shalom!
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by devastated
Woke up in the middle of the night, screaming in pain! Mr. Dev, God love him, asked if he needed to call 711??? I said, yes, and get me a Slurppy while you got them on the phone!

As they say in the south "Bless his heart". I hope you don't mind if I love Mr. Dev almost as much as you do. After all you ARE the hunk magnet and I am merely an admirer, so you have nothing to fear. Besides, Mr. Ann might be a tad jealous and start trying to cook, and you're either a cook or you're not...and he's not.

I sense an SR baby shower coming here. I hear bamboo grows fast, so give me a week or two and I'll make you some of those fancy dancy diapers.

Love you Dev, maybe because you're crazier than I am and that can be a good thing if you play your crazy cards right, yes?

Hugs