Remember me?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
BBD

Welcome back Dev~~I certainly have miessed reading your uplifting posts...even if some where just a tad sad. You always made me smile. Sorry about the shingles. Glad yo hear your feeling better thou. Please don't be a stranger. Many of us need you here. Hugs, Bonnie
Old 10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hey dev, glad you are back, i'm also waiting for pt 2. i know its gonna be an interesting read.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I LOVE this thread. It's good to see a bunch of the old timers. I've missed you guys. It might be nice for some of you to start your own update thread - good for the newbies to know your stories, and to know that you can find happiness and serenity and new ways of handling challenges, whether or not your A finds recovery.

HUGS to all !
Old 10-23-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Cool

((((Dev)))

My motto lately is hands off the addict. I have lived in codie hell long enough. I am sure you have too. Right?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cats

The only thing I can think to say to the "newbies" is what was handed down to me by all you wonderful "old friends."

When I joined here back in 2002, I was right at the edge of a break-down. I couldn't see the forest for the trees. I'm sure my saving grace was this forum.

These words were sent to me so many times....."I promise you it will get better!"

I hung onto those words even though I didn't believe it possible could ever get better! Guess what, it did. Oh, not because my son made much progress, but because I did.

At that time I do believe he was sent to San Quentin for what they call "evaluation" and from there they are sent somewhere else.

When they took him away, I cried so much I couldn't open my eyes the next day.

I was such a Co-dependant that I swear I had the Warden's phone number on my speed-dial, and called there furious when my son didn't receive a book or a package of paper and pencils.

I also wrote letters like every day until the Warden sent word to my son to please have your Mom stop writing! LOL I was very upset that he didn't want to be my penpal!! I only started writing when he refused my calls figured that'll teach him.

I cannot tell you how I miss the trips to the pawn shops! Man, I knew all those guys by heart. Shoot, there even was a time when one fellow gave me a discount for being a "repeat" customer! God love him.

However, there was also the time when I had to lift a huge tile-saw, which weighs about 150 pounds, or so it felt like, because the guy wanted $10 bucks to put it in my car! Thank God for adrenaline!

Since that time my son, now almost 47, has been in and out of prison(s). Presently doing ok, just ok, but out for almost one year.

Lots of funny things happened along the way during his stays. One of the things we all talk about here is when he wrote to me and told me how bad the "thread count" was on the pillow case he had! We roared about that one.

Then there was the time he was going to get married at the prison! Oh, how much fun we had over that wedding, which by the way, didn't take place! Shoot and we were so ready. Ann had the Codie bus all reved up and everything! There we were in all our prison (wedding) ensembles, and the wedding got called off! Damn the bad luck!

I do believe that at that time Ann was actually making arrangements for little surprises with "No neck" 'cause he was there in San Quentin at that time!

Oh, yeah, how about the time I was distraught because my son was on the street, no place to sleep, and he told me it was the street or his storage unit! OMG, not the storage unit! I remmber writing and saying "how will he breath?" You remember that guys?

Then there was the noisey mailman that asked who I knew that was sending me letters from San Quentin. I remember saying in a loud voice "oh that would be my son!" He was shocked! He said, "for what?" and wasn't I just waiting for that, as I said, "he killed a mailman!" LOL Never did talk to me again! LOL

Yep, there have been lots of crisis in my life, lots of chaous and drama, lots of terrible anxieties, and worry too; however, with the help of my friends here I learned, man it took me forever, how to "let go." It wasn't easy, it took lots of practice, but I did finally catch on!

You all just hang in there and I promise you, you, too, will get to that point in your life. When you do, tell us and I'm sure Ann, and all the rest of us "old timers" can get the CODIE BUS running, pick you up, and we'll party like there's no tomorrow! This time we must remember to bring plastic garbage bags for the empties, ok ladies??

Oh one more thing about me is, trouble finds me no matter where I go. Why just the other day I got pulled over by a highway patrolman (CUTE). He said to me, "do you know how I caught you?" I said, no. With that he pointed up to the sky. I was shocked and said, "GOD?" Poor guy he was speechless! Guess that was because he didn't think I knew the answer, huh?

OK, better close this before ya'll drift off.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You've come a long way, Dev, and it's been a pleasure and a privilege to walk with you.

I don't think anyone here has made me laugh as hard as you have. And I know that once we can laugh, there is hope for us because it really is the best medicine.

More Hugs and Lots More Love
Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Ahhh Dev....

Sheets, weddings, prisons,

Missed you tremendously....you magget, you. LOL

As for the son's daughter...glad you can be UN codependent and see how this story plods along. So sad for her, but detaching with love is the way to go, for sure.

Love and hugs....

Loving the Bamboo thing. My friend in Canada knitted me a pair of bamboo socks, and they are wonderful...soft like a chinchella...yum.

NOW I have to have some of those sheets!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Moose,Ann,history,cats,etc

All my wonderful "old" friends. All I can say is thank you for your constant support here. Because of ya'll I've survived.

We sure have had some great laughs along the way, haven't we? Mr. Dev is always so serious about everything!!

Couple of years ago, I made an error when sending in what I owed for income tax. I inadvertantly transposed the figures. Well, IRS, also known as, Johnny at the Rat Hole, couldn't wait to send me the "MAN ARE YOU IN TROUBLE" letter with a fine!!

I sat down and wrote them a letter. It went something like this:

DEAR SIR or MADAME: RECEIVED YOUR "GENTLE" REMINDER (FINE) THAT I HAD MADE AN ERROR IN MY RETURN. I SEE THAT I TRANSPOSED THE FIGURES AND AM, THEREFORE, SENDING IN THE BALANCE I OWE.

AS I AM SURE YOU REALIZE, THIS WAS AN HONEST MISTAKE; HOWEVER, YOU'LL BE HAPPY TO KNOW THAT I HAVE SINCE GOTTEN GLASSES SO THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY MISTAKES IN THE FUTURE.

Mr. Dev went crazy! "mamma, you canna joka with the CPS (love that one)"
I said, too bad if they can't take a joke!

As it turned out they wrote back and actually returned my fine!!!

The moral of this story is "never let anyone get the last word!" LOL

Hugs, Devastated