If you're overwhelmed

Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you're overwhelmed

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Let go of the fear. Feel it, and then breathe it out. Let go of the frustration, the overwhelmed feelings, and the panic. Quiet yourself. Then pick one task, one simple thing to do. Then focus on only that. Or go to your calendar and circle today. Today is the only day you've got, and today is enough.

Action:

If you're working on a project, break it down into components, and work on one small part. Don't think about the rest. If what's overwhelming you is a flurry of tasks and problems, make a list, then pick one thing and focus on doing that. Then cross it off your list and do another.

If you're going through a tough stretch in your life, don't think about all the days that loom ahead. Make whatever appointments and plans you need to make, then focus only on today. If you're experiencing something tough, like a divorce or early sobriety, you may want to break your days into smaller parts, such as hours, mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Don't think about facing anything more than that chunk of time. Then when you get to the next chunk, focus on that.

If the beast of anxiety starts roaring, quiet it by deliberately turning your attention to small steps.

You are reading from the book:
52 Weeks of Conscious Contact by Melody Beattie
Old 09-27-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a powerful thought for me today. I've been reading a lot about goals and challenges, and I find myself overwhelmed with all that I need to do. It's good to remember that I don't need to do it all today, and I don't need to worry about it all today. I can pick a task or 2 that will move me towards my goal and I can do those things. And that can be enough.

When I'm in this stressful place, I forget about balance... and being balanced is so important if I want to continue to go forward in my recovery.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ohhhhhh.......now I get it....

Thank you for that post!!!!!! It's always good to be reminded to slow down and take it "One day at a time."
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get the daily readings in my email, and when I read that this morning, I thought there goes God again tapping me on the shoulder!

I was getting waaaay ahead of myself with college stuff, feeling completely overwhelmed, and look at what I got to read!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. I've been having a lot of trouble with fear lately. It makes me hard to take action, when I'm feeling so much fear. This is a great reminder to do one step at a time--one day at a time.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If the beast of anxiety starts roaring, quiet it by deliberately turning your attention to small steps.
Cats, I think you've been peeking in my window because this is exactly what I needed to read today.

Right now, this very moment, I am going to make my list for tomorrow and then take the rest of the day off. Feels better already.

Hugs
Old 09-27-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I set an atmosphere around me to work on rebalancing. I've created a physical space that is sort of my serenity spot. I have pictures of peaceful locations I have visited, sayings that remind me to be still and I will hear, and of course lots of candles and other aromatherapy type stuff. Next to my melting pot is the Willow Tree Serenity Angel. Not 30 minutes ago, I lit some candles, burned a little patchouli incense and meditated for a little bit. I just felt that need to get centered.
Then I came here and low and behold, Cats sent me another reminder. Thanks, my friend!