SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Does this Make sense- Cymbalta (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/184471-does-make-sense-cymbalta.html)

ghost99 09-15-2009 08:24 PM

Does this Make sense- Cymbalta

My wife is a recovering addict (DOC: vicodin and alcohol). She told me that during her AA meetings they recommend that she take cymbalta to stop smoking. So she gets a year prescription for cymbalta from a doctor friend. There is nothing I could find that indicates that this is used to stop smoking (it's primarily an anti-depressant). Anyway red flags are going up again. Am I over reacting?

Impurrfect 09-15-2009 09:08 PM

I would ask a pharmacist. The only thing I could find was that smoking alters the dose of Cymbalta that the person is taking...basically makes it less effective.

The only antidepressants that I know of that help with quitting smoking is Zyban and Wellbutrin, but then I'm not a doctor:)

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

breakingfree88 09-15-2009 10:56 PM

a 12 month scrip when she's never taken it before? That's heavy. I've been on it for a year and its a very strong drug. Normally they'll write a scrip for a month and call you back in two weeks to see if you're handling it OK.
Reading the prescribing info shows that it is not prescribed for smoking cessation. It doesn't act on dopamine like Wellbutrin aka Zyban. Of course, this doctor may be using it off label, but it doesn't sound like an effective treatment.

Done_With_It 09-15-2009 11:29 PM

from a doctor friend
That to me is the only reason she was able to get a years prescription.
Like the others I'm not a doctor but I have been going long enough to
know that they rarely give you a script like that without having you
go back in a month or so.

It's not wise or safe to start an anti and not go back especially with
something like cymbalta because of the possible side effects.
Then again it's not really wise to go to your doctor friend to get a script,
IMO.

sleepygoat 09-16-2009 05:25 AM

that's weird on so many levels. a 'meeting' advising medication, (though an individual member could say anything, outside of the meeting), cymbalta to quit smoking (not a use for that med), a year's Rx -(I was on it for depression and after 3 days I was bonkers and unable to sleep at all for a week!), and even that AA-ers would care that much about quitting smoking!

Nevertheless, cymbalta does not get one high - and its not a controlled substance.

URMYEVERYTHING 09-16-2009 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghost99 (Post 2367332)
My wife is a recovering addict (DOC: vicodin and alcohol). She told me that during her AA meetings they recommend that she take cymbalta to stop smoking.

That is weird. I never heard of AA meetings giving med advice. She might want to change groups if they are conducting meetings in this manner. Then again, she could be fabricating.

So she gets a year prescription for cymbalta from a doctor friend.

RED FLAG, RED FLAG... Doctor Friend.... What else is she getting from this doctor friend who was so willing to give her a year's Rx for Cymbalta?? I would question her connection with this doctor friend. Is this the person she is also getting the Vicodin from?

There is nothing I could find that indicates that this is used to stop smoking (it's primarily an anti-depressant). Anyway red flags are going up again. Am I over reacting?

You are correct... Cymbalta is used for depression and especially in those that have somatic complaints associated with depression (headaches, body aches, etc.). The commonly used antidepressant used to help with smoking is Wellbutrin. The other anti-smoking med used is Zyban.

My advice to you is that an addict can't be trusted in their reporting. I would gently advise her to see someone other than her doctor friend. Kind of like a second opinion. If she refuses, then her motive is to keep this doctor friend as a connection which would raise my suspicions. This would have me questioning their relationship and if she is even being honest with this doctor friend?? Is he her supplier (willingly or nonwillingly). Either way, it's something to look out for.

catlovermi 09-16-2009 07:57 AM

Fishy, fishy, fishy.
  1. Medical advice given out at AA meeting. I don't think so.
  2. Dr. Friend writing presciption without appropriate exam and diagnosis: malpractice (it does happen, though, unfortunately, behind the scenes)
  3. A YEAR'S worth of prescription? There is NO NEED to write any Rx for this amount of time, and any physician who does is not practicing good medicine.

I smell a smokescreen. You are right to feel fidgety about what she is telling you, and what else may be going on with her.

CLMI

outtolunch 09-16-2009 10:32 AM

Did you see the prescription? I am surprised any MD would write a script for an entire year. I cannot imagine insurance would cover this.

keepstrong 09-16-2009 10:40 AM

Chantix is another anti smoking medication. If your stomach can handle it (mine couldn't due to extreme nausea and vomit feeling, though this doesn't happen to everyone), it works.