Methadone apparently causes irritability?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

Methadone apparently causes irritability?

Is a side effect of Methadone irritability and anger? Or is that just from abuse of it? Cuz my abf is angry today and has been irritable the last couple days. I am not familiar with methadone so I wasn't sure what would happen when abf started it. At first it was really good. He was totally himself and things were good for a couple days. Then he started getting irritatable and now he's being an ass. Could this just be from him being on new meds, or is this a sure sign that he's abusing it? Any experience with this anyone?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Or it could be that's not abusing it or another drug, and he wants to. In other words, a dry drunk. Is he working any kind of recovery program?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Miss Scarlett O'Hara

He's not typically an ass. Only time I've seen him behave like this is when he was abusing another med a while back. I'm kind of nervous because how he's acting reminds me of how he was acting about a year ago and it lead to a bad situation. It seems that maybe he has trouble with the longer acting meds?

Chino- He denies he has a problem. When he went on the methadone, he thought that the fact that he felt really good the first day proved that he was not an addict. So no, no recovery program...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From past experience dealing with a pill addict.... the irritability usually came from him being irritated with himself - but not able to share just why he is irritated with himself. Come to find out - it would be because he was running low on his meds because of taking too many at first. The "OH Sh*t" factor comes into play...... but not able to vent about it in fear of actually being called out on being an addict.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Life causes irritibility/anger in some people.

Life without their DOC causes irritibility/anger, depression and so on, in many addicts.

It's not uncommon for addicts on Methadone to use other substances to get high.