My little introduction

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face My little introduction

Hello, I stumbled on this site and after doing some reading, I decided to join.

My husband is a 47 year old crack addict who began going in and out of prison at 19 after getting hooked at 17.

I met him 13 years ago in prison and married him in there 3 months later. I did not use my head -- I should have RAN but I do not regret the experience at all because throughout, I've always done what I wanted to do over what he wanted me to do, in most instances though he never was a big asker.

Him being the dreamy Piscean, he lived in his dream world and me being the idealisitc yet realistic Leo I lived in my ideal world, us coming together through love and living our marriage on love.

He's currently in in-patient in lieu of returning to prison, and because there's something about him disconnecting a few weeks into the rehab that didn't rub well with me, a reality flicker got my attention and told me to not ride this emotional rollercoaster through my 49th year. So, a week after my birthday I put our case on the divorce calendar.

We still love each other, we just can't live together or be together.

Not looking for advice -- just wanted to make an introduction and tell a little about my situation.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome,glad you found us but i'm sorry about your situation. looking forward to getting to know you. i'm a recovering addict married but separated from an active addict of 23 yrs.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
IPT

Originally Posted by ThirteenYears View Post

We still love each other, we just can't live together or be together.
I applaude you for recognizing this and moving to make a decsion about your future. I have struggled with it time and time again. Still struggle with it and I haven't seen her in over 2 months. Welcome and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You are in the right place for support during this difficult time.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW my story is exactly like yours except my 36 yr. old crack/alcohol addicted husband is probably on his way to prison soon. I had the divorce papers served on him in jail. He was arrested along with his 20 yr. old CW for 1st degree burgulary, strong arm robbery, forgery, and petty larcenys. We've been married for 18 yrs. and I just couldn't do it anymore. It's pure INSANITY with a crack addict. Crazy s**t can happen and does happen!!!!!

I'm glad to hear you made the decision to divorce. It was a tough one for me too cause I held out hope for a long time for him to overcome his demons. In the last 5 yrs. or so he has just been spiraling down faster and faster while I just stand by and watch his actions. They tell me everything I need to know. We've been together since we were 16 and I thought I knew what I wanted, I didn't at all. Today I have a much better vision of what I want in a man and what is acceptable and what is not. My final hearing is in November so I figure that will be a good x-mas present for me.

As for him, I pray for him every night that he straightens up his life but whether he does or dosen't is not affecting me anymore. Yea my H is a dreamer too except he didn't do anything to make those dreams happen. It's a good thing we are starting to finally live some of our dreams!! I'm excited - what about you??
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome - very sorry for the reasons you sought out this forum but glad you are here. You'll find lots of support and kindred spirits.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. It sounds as though you have your head on straight.

Just curious....how does one go about meeting someone in prison? Do you work there?