Kind acts of strangers

Old 08-31-2009, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kind acts of strangers

Went to church with spouse yesterday, it has been many years. We have been attending the past month. The pastor there is a wonderful man, and has been trying to find AS a place to stay. The options were a shelter, a motel, or the home of someone from the church. Turns out while spouse and I were sitting there a gentlemen came over to introduce himself. He is a recovering addict and he and his wife take addicts in that are waiting to get in to a program. They also head the outreach program feeding approx. 120 people a day. I cant believe this couple would open there home to strangers. I told them he steals, they said "so, we dont own anything" AS called me yesterday, when I told him the pastor and this gentlemen were picking him up from detox, he had a fit. I said to As "then just leave detox it's your choice." I hung up on him I can not listen to his verbal attacks anylonger. 18 calls to my cell phone ( obviously trying to control the situation) He said I ruined his plans What plans? He said when my life is out of control I have thrown him to the wolves. " I have helped to keep his addiction alive by enabling him on and off for years" That was a first from him. Addicts are quite brilliant with some of the comments they make. He said I needed to detach slowly. He said some very, very hurtful things. I know he is angry and scared. I stood firm with him and told him its his life do what he wants. I thought for sure he would flee from the detox. The pastor called me last nite after he had picked him up. Turns out he did go with them and he is with this family. He is the last kid ( not kid anymore) that Would have gotten in to that car. Pastor has an appointment for him Tuesday for long term treatment. I am praying he goes, I know it is his decision. Yesterday morning he was going to sell his belongings ( he has no belongings) and fly to vancouver to live ( one of his plans) the talk of suicide again came up. Its a small milestone, but he went with these people. The next few days will tell if hes leaving for program. I will have no contact with him. Sorry for such a long posting, It never ceases to amaze me the kind acts from total strangers.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Katie, they say that coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous and I believe He is working through these kind people.

He had options and chose to go with them, so that's a good start. It's all out of your hands and I think that no contact may be just what he needs right now.

He may stay, he may go, it's all up to him now and I have a feeling he may just stick around and give it a try.

Hugs
Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Katie, I believe that God's hand is all over this as well. And that YOU are allowed to let your son and these 'angels' take it from here. Just keep reminding yourself that all your 'help' didn't help him, but when he realizes that he has the strength to help himself (like you are realizing) THEN it might truly work for him. Nice job, Katie. Take good care of yourself today and do something that takes your mind off son for at least an hour, just to give your mind a rest!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only thing that helped my daughter was when I stopped helping. That way God could step up to the plate. I think it is amazing what can happen when we get out of the way. Those people are wonderful and your son is so lucky to have the help. A lot of addicts never get that chance. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, Katie, I'm glad he made a good decision. I hope and pray he will keep making the next right choice. I wish my future A stepson would make the next right choice....

Hugs and prayers to you and those kind people.

HG
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Katie,

You are doing great! I know how hard it is to say "no", mean "no" and stick with it. But I gotta say again "YOU ARE DOING GREAT!"
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The family that has taken him in asked us to drop some clothes off for him. They are very nice people. AS cornered me in the driveway, and said they were some strange cult. How crazy is that! They are genuine caring people that have opened there home to a stranger no the less a drug adict who has the oppurtunity to steal from them. he thinks he's there to be brainwashed Why? because the man of the house spoke to him about the bible today and read him some scripture. " I just told him then leave if you don't like it" He has a warm bed and a roof over his head and bless these people for the work they do. AS says he doesnt believe in god so therefore he shouldnt have to hear it. He says he believes in nothing except the world is full of cheats and cons.
While we were having a coffee there he announced I should go to a womens rehab I asked him why he stated I had a perscription drug addiction. That is not true a few times a year I have taken a clonazepam to sleep. I did not find this amusing. He said it with such contempt and when this family was not looking he smirked at me. I am so tired of his lies, and manipulation. Sometimes I see an evilness there that makes my stomach churn. I have to remind myself its the drug not him. has anyone else felt this way before?