Waiting to hear about my sons sentence

Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting to hear about my sons sentence

Hi
Today I am waiting to find out my 24 year old son's fate (unless it gets postponed again). He has been in jail for the last 5 weeks awaiting sentencing for stealing to support his heroin habit. We do not live in the same state (he moved away for rehab and stayed) so it has been 7 months since we last saw him. He was clean for a year and we had the best Christmas all together last year then in Jan. he went back to CA and relapsed. We didi not know this for a while and he was really a mess. Long story short stole from friends, got arrested, bailed out, successfully went to another rehab and wanted to stay longer but we could not afford it, relapsed again, arrested again. He is in a drug program in the jail and we are waiting to hear if he will se sent to a court ordered rehab. We are praying he finally got the message that he is there because of his own actions. It is so hard to believe this has happened. Many people in recovery tell me this could be the best thing to happen to him and since we have tried several rehabs maybe this will be his wake up. I hate the thought of him in jail but it is so much better than being on the streets using. He sounds great when we talk. Whatever happens it will be in his hands to stay clean because if he messes up he will end up again he will end up in prison. I hate that fact that he was stupid enough to try drugs in the first place!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((cherrie))) Wow, that's a tough one. He's been thru a lot already at 24, hasn't he? I'm so sorry.

I have a hard time being angry with addicts. I really believe that it's a disease and that willpower has very little to do with whether or not they are able to stop....or had any bearing on why they started at the beginning. It's like the counselor told our family -- my son was just the "lucky one" to be hit by the addiction bullet.

There's no easy answer, that's for sure.

Your son is in God's hands and He will provide what is needed for his growth.

I hope you find serenity -- just for today...
Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi cherrie, My hearts with you hon. Even though we do finally hit our botton and stop helping its so hard to imagine our sons going through the pain while figuring things out. I hope whatever happens here is a lesson for your son. My son has been clean for over a year and doing Ok but I still worry. It's so hard dealing with addiction. Hugs and good luck, Bonnie
Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Just adding my hug because it's hard being the mom of an addict. And adding some prayers too that your son see's the light this time and stays on a good path.

Mom to Mom Hugs
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Cherrie)))

I'm an RA (recovering addict) but I also have loved ones who are addicts. Neither side of addiction is easy.

I truly hope this is the time he "gets it" and chooses recovery for good. Once we choose recovery, however, it is a lifetime job. We are always only one bad decision away from a relapse. I don't say this to bring you down, only to make you see that recovery is something an addict has to continue to work on the rest of their lives. I've got over 2 years clean and recovery is just a way of life for me now.

On the other side of the fence, I have to remember to let my loved ones who are addicts find their bottoms just like I did. No one could MAKE ME want recovery, no matter what they did. It was something that until I wanted it really, really bad, it just wasn't going to happen. I now have to accept that for my loved ones and I now understand the pain and frustration my family went through with me.

Addiction is painful, no matter what side of it you're on.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cherrie, hugs & prayers from another mom.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. It seems so surreal that we are going through this. It helps to talk to people who really understand. Things seem to be going better. He was sentenced to a year in jail to be served in treatment. The program they are talking about is one where he would live there and work. This is what we were all hoping for. I am sure it will take a while to get him there but at least we know what to expect. I pray he finally finds the strength to stay sober.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cherrie1 View Post
I pray he finally finds the strength to stay sober.
....and in the end that's all you really can do.

So glad that things turned out the way they did. God is good. :ghug3