AS Is Chaos!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Katie44,
I know what you are going through my son is my addict. Having never dealt with this before in the beginning you do everything you can to help. We have spent thousands on rehabs that we could not afford but we believed they would "fix" things. I have slowly learned from other more experienced people and former addicts that we need to practice tough love. We have been living this hell for 4 years. My son moved to another state for long term recovery (he has no one out there) and stayed but we still are going through the drama. He relapsed after a year and right now is in jail awaiting to get approved for a long term (1 year) rehab that the courts are putting him in. I never thought I could accept the thought of him sitting in jail but it beats the alternative of him being dead. I am glad he is getting the chance of going to rehab but part of me feels he is safer in jail. He is more than willing to get the help and does not want to live like that anymore but it is so hard for them to stop. I do believe the advice you get here about not letting him come back to your home and not helping him is the best way. I know out of ignorance and love I have prolonged his illness. I know how hard it hurts to turn your back on you child especially when they are hurting but that is what we have to try to be strong enough to do. I told mine I love you but will no longer be a part of your addiction. Right now he sounds great because he is not using and we talk everyday but I told him you have a choice it's your drugs or you family, you can no longer have both. We will no longer let you drag us down. I will always love you but I won't be a part of this anymore. Stay strong it does get a little easier. Also I have learned from our experience the longer the treatment the better. Best of luck!!!