Update/ checking in

Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update/ checking in

Hi all, I wanted to give everyone an update on Joey. For those that don't know, Joey is my 17 year old addict. I haven't been around much, it is summer here and we have been really busy getting our old house fixed up and now it is SOLD! It took us a year between dealing with the addict and just life things we couldn't get it ready, but now it is over and one less burned to deal with.
Joey was home for his first overnight stay this weekend and it was wonderful, he has been in rehab 4 months now. He did have a slip up 2 1/2 months into it, but since then he has been doing awesome. He has changed so much and really wants to stay clean. He has a hard time dealing with all the new feelings like insecurity, his emotions are strong at times and it hurts to see him cry, but I know this is all part of the healing and it is helping him. He is setting goals for himself, talking about coming home working to pay off his fines and going to collage, he is not sure what he wants to do, but he has strong feelings of wanting to go to med. school (I wanted to laugh when he told us that) but he likes to study the brain and how it works. While he was home he went to two AA meetings and he asked to use the phone one time he just wanted to talk to his sponsor. When we pulled in the driveway he said wow a new house, I just looked at him and he said it is new to me, I haven't seen it since I've been clean. While we were out at the mall he stopped by A&B, he use to work there part time and he went in and talk to the manager, I wasn't sure what he was up to and to my surprise he apologized to her for not letting her know he had to quit, that he was in rehab working hard on staying clean. He told me, I just felt I needed to tell her. I know he has a long way to go, but I am so proud of him and so glad his head is clear enough to think of the good things life has to offer. I adore having his bubbly happy go lucky personality back, he is so much fun to be around.
As for me I am going to get back to the meetings, I haven't been going the last few weeks and I don't want to lose all the good things I have learned there. I feel it already just messing a few, when I had to take Joey back to the rehab I cried the whole way home I didn't want to take him back, my heart misses him so much, but my head knows the longer he is there the better the chances he will stay clean. Julie
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Julie, I'm so glad to hear that good things are coming your way for you and Joey and the whole family. Good idea to get back into the meetings - I treat my recovery like going to the gym - need to make sure I keep in the routine because if I miss a couple of days, it is so easy to slip back to bad old habits.

Hugs - Now that the house stuff is done take some time to enjoy your summer!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Sounds like he's making great progress Julie. I'm so happy for both you and him
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Your post brought tears to my eyes. That rarely happens to an old battle axe like me. I'm so happy to hear that you have your son back. I hope he continues on this recovery road. I'm so happy for you right now.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Wonderful news ! How great to be have your son visit sober.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

:ghug3 Great news, Julie!

Enjoy this time...house, summer, son is where he needs to be!!

Huge hugs! HG
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good news, thank you for sharing.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear this.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Julie)))

Thanks for checking in. I'm so glad things are looking good for you in all aspects!! I've found that with me and my codependence, the more I think I've got it under control, the more I've got to learn I'm so glad that Joey is doing well. Once we A's really, really want recovery, there's no stopping us and there's no question..our actions show it.

Good luck with the new house!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awww thanks everyone, today is really a good day. When I think back to 6-12 months ago it seems like years isn't, that funny. I am just enjoying it while it is good hoping it lasts forever, even if I know that may not be the out come when he comes home for good. ((((Warm Hugs))))
Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Hi Julie. I am very happy for you and Joey. I am especially happy that Joey is getting the help he needs, and learning all the things he needs to learn, while he is so young. Keep up the hope; don't ever give up on your dreams. You are doing the right thing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi my friend just wanted to tell you be happy it is great the Joey is doing so well I have been praying for you both. God Bless you friend be happy.

Love ya,
Maggiemac
Old 08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

yeeha

oh how great you sound too
Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It makes my heart smile to read posts like yours and I am so happy for all of you.

We never know what tomorrow will bring and it's as likely to be something good as anything bad, so let it unfold however it may and just enjoy the rest of your summer.

I agree with Greet about the meetings. Staying connected to what gave us our sanity is one good way to ensure we keep it. And think of all the newcomers who will listen to your story and sharing and find hope for themselves. That's the magic of recovery, each time we pass it on another codie just may grab the lifeline and we just never know who or when.

Big hugs from one mama to another, sharing our joy is such a gift.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Julie, Such wonderful news, I'm so happy for you & for Joey. Enjoy the rest of your summer and keep in touch.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Julie,
Thanks for the update. I'm so choked up right now.
I have not been on this site in quite a while either. Just checking on everyone and came across your post.
"I adore having his bubbly happy go lucky personality back, he is so much fun to be around" . I can't tell you how this feels.
My hope for you Julie, is that you see the results we have over the last 6 months.
My 20 year old is still clean, working, joined a gym, etc. Every day I see new things threw his eyes. I can't imagine last year at this time, actually, i do not want to go back ever again.
Only parents who have gone thru this can understand our journey thru this horrid world of addiction.
Good luck Julie and Congrats!