cautiously optimistic....

Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
krhea75

cautiously optimistic....

Well, I am feeling slightly optimistic about my AS. As some of you may remember, my son started using when he was 14 after my divorce from his father. He has tried pot, alcohol, prescription drugs, anything he can get his hands on. After at least 7 or 8 rehab stays and two trips to jail, he seems to be raising his head above the haze. He got kicked out of my house, his father's house and has been living with a friend trying to get by on a part time fast food salary.

He decided he wanted to go back to school this fall and I told him that it was up to him. I was not going to help him. So he signed up and did the paper work. I did help him with the financial aid forms. He kept trying to get me to cosign a loan with him, but I told him I didn't trust him. (He tried school once and flunked out). So we found out that he got a full grant + some living expenses. he is so excited about school. He also passed a random drug test this week. I' m pretty sure he is still drinking, but I know he's not doing as much because most of his money goes towards his living expenses.

So anyway, I hope he uses this chance God has given him. It is good to see my son clear-headed again. He is 19 now and I pray that the last 2 month jail stint did him good. The battle is not over, but there is a lull in the chaos and a reason to hope.

krhea
Old 07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Day But Today

That's really great to hear. I'm glad to hear that it may be working out for you =)

Best of wishes.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Krhea! Honest...I was just thinking about you today! I love when that happens and it happens often here. I think about a member who hasn't been around who I miss and boom...the person posts...and it is always a post chock full of hope

he seems to be raising his head above the haze. He got kicked out of my house, his father's house and has been living with a friend trying to get by on a part time fast food salary.

He decided he wanted to go back to school this fall and I told him that it was up to him. I was not going to help him. So he signed up and did the paper work. I did help him with the financial aid forms. He kept trying to get me to cosign a loan with him, but I told him I didn't trust him. (He tried school once and flunked out). So we found out that he got a full grant + some living expenses. he is so excited about school. He also passed a random drug test this week.
What I see here is not so much the stint in jail helping him as mom and dad letting him find his own way and "forcing" him to learn that he can succeed on his own. My daughter did the change majors every month deal on my dime til I was finally smart enough to say enough. She worked for quite awhile and when she finally decided it was time to go back to school, she did it on her own. She was so proud of herself for getting the aid and for sticking to it - She's almost done now and she has done better than she ever thought she could...I suspect because she really wanted it for herself this time. That kind of success does so much to rebuild the self esteem they loose to the drugs.

I'm so excited that the fog is lifting and your son is starting to realize his own potential. Enjoy every day of it and every day of celebrating you!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
krhea75

Thanks Greet and 28, So much of what I learned on here has become part of myphilosophy and my way of making it through life. I appreciate the encouragement!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IPT

That sounds great. I wish him good luck!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Krhea))

It's so good to hear from you!

I think it's great that he is going to school and got the grant on his own! It does help us (R)A's to feel better about ourselves when we start to realize that we CAN do something besides screw up, or at least it did me. For some, that's what puts us into recovery.

I understand the "cautious optimism" but I hope you have lots more of the good days ahead.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

'a lull in the chaos'

Sounds good!