Blood infection?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood infection?

My husband just called me from the ER to tell me he has an infection in his leg. I noticed him limping the other day and he said he cut himself at work. Which is normal for him because he's always working with tools etc. He said they are doing bloodwork on him, do you think they will check his liver levels to notice the pill abuse? I know about two years ago I bought a life insurance policy on him and this is when it first came to light that he was abusing pills. His liver enzymes were high then...that is when he went and go on suboxone, but he was selling them and only using them in between abusing the roxicets.

It's so HARD because I love him and the person inside under all his pain. My heart is breaking.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

blusunflower... I'm so sorry. My ex is an opiate abuser.... he too is on subs. He moved out a month ago because I just couldn't handle the dysfunction/insanity any longer. I too love my guy - but, as a result, not only was my life becoming or actually became unmanageable - I was also loving him to death.

If we all could love our addicts into sobriety / recovery - we wouldn't be here on this message board.

I don't know anything about blood infections.... nor about them checking blood levels. I'm sure some form of blood work is being done, but I wouldn't know what panels.

Keep posting and reading around this forum - there is lots of valuable information.

Hang in there.......
Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for your reply, "Basketball Diaries" just came on tv, I'm really doing myself in tonight, lol.

Your BF has been gone a month? Do you talk to him? Do you believe he's on the sub's? My husband told me that for the last 18months and hardly ever was...

Writing on here helps, I never thought I would...but it's helping, so thank you!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do believe that he is on the subs.... because I think that he is scared of getting sick by not being on them. I also think that he is genuinely afraid of opiates. The thing is though - is that he just traded one addiction for another and snorted Ritalin for the last 4 months of our relationship. ::: Sigh::: ... he also cheated on me - only one time that I know of. His continually snorting and then finding out about the little fling he had - it just all became too much.

I also have 2 little boys and they were starting to suffer and it just freaked me out that they were growing up in a house of addiction. I have an allergic reaction to him in active addiction - I literally fall into the insanity.

Anyway - I don't know what he is or isn't doing. He is a few thousand miles away now and I couldn't really trust his words under this roof - I definitely can't trust his words thousands of miles away!

I just have to believe that he has to hit his bottom and that it's best for me to just get out of the way and not ride front seat to it all.

I love him from a distance, I wish him well, and I'm picking up lots of broken pieces - not only of my heart - but of my LIFE!

SR has been a life saver..... I came here in 12/07 and I have learned so much. I have learned to hate the addiction not the person. But the person hosts the addiction - so - that was a hard one. Read the stickies... and search key words......and it's great that you are posting! We all understand... we have been through it and/or are going through it.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's unlikely the ER will test for substance abuse unless it is potentially related to his injury.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just spoke with him, they are keeping him overnight, he said he picked something on his leg and it became infected. he went to the minute clinic and got anti's a couple days ago and its worse now, so it may be a mrsa infection....

I asked him if he had the suboxone with him and he said yes, he said he told them he was on it and "they didn't care" so I hope that lets them in on something....I hope they keep him and fix him (dreaming I know).
Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi blusunflower & I want to Welcome you to SR and particularly this Forum. My son has gotten an infection like you're talking about and they did test his blood while dealing with the infection. They routinely check the liver enzyme levels. Everytime my son has gone to the hospital, the Drs. have found out that he was using drugs or drinking lots of alcohol. It's always turned out best for us that way because they confront him and bluntly tell him what the medical consequences of his actions will be. They never have contacted the authorities because of this. When he got the infections, he told me that he cut his leg on the shower at someone's house, but it turned out that he was using needle drugs.

I do wish that they could fix our loved ones at the hospitals. Hang in there, and take care of YOU. (((((((((((Caring Hugs)))))))))))
Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your experience! They are "lancing" it tomorrow....he was very tired today and couldn't/wouldn't talk on the phone and didn't want any visitors, not that I was going there anyway....

He sent me a pic of his leg and it looked like a big whitehead and red all around it...gross...