Sorry it's been a while...the update

Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Sorry it's been a while...the update

Hey everyone,

How's it been going? Hope you all had a nice 4th of July. Thought I'd throw my update out there to see what yinz think.

Well, been dealing with some situations at home. About a week and a half ago, AB was seeming down and out. I knew what it had to be from so I kept trying to hint to him all day just to talk to me. Later that night, I told him we had to talk. I told him what I found and that I knew what was going on. He wasn't defensive or in denial about it. He told me what's been going on. He told me he left the needles there on purpose in hopes I would find them and leave. So he went on about this and that and i just took it all in and told him how I felt about everything. He mentioned that he tried to reach out to his sponsor but he wasn't there. His sponsor has been going through a very difficult time in his life as well. I told my AB I love his sponsor, great guy, but due to what he's going through, maybe he should see if someone else is available. During our conversation, he said he's not buying anymore so he was detoxing at home. I don't think he was faking it. He was sick and didn't seem out of it, his pupils seemed normal size again and he hasn't been out and about. Just laying around and going to the bathroom a lot. He has decided to give me control of his paychecks (I will open up a separate account in my name that only I have access to), the other night he went to an NA meeting, and 2 weekends ago we hung out at the recovery club he used to go to all the time. I understand he is not "cured" but I do believe these are some steps in the right direction. He has bought some suboxone off someone he knows for the withdraw. He has looked into the meth clinic and is getting blood work done for it today. He's never done it before cause he's always been against it, but he says he needs something to get by from day to day. I don't know how I feel about it. It is legal, you don't have the danger of the street drugs anymore, you're monitored, and you have couseling so I guess...opposed to street drugs...I can handle this. We had a discussion about it and he asked me how I felt about it and I told him if this is what he needs to help him get through, then by all means...do it. However, I'm not going to tolerate going to the meth clinic and still doing street drugs. Is that even possible? Does anyone know anything about meth clinics/methodone? Is this a ray of hope? I'm going to look on that section on this site. Thanks everyone for any help you can provide!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

True confession time is not recovery.

Blaming the unavailability of his sponsor is not recovery.

Buying suboxone off the street is not recovery.

Being approved for a legal methodone maintenance program is not recovery.

Prescribed suboxone and methadone can restore some sence of physical normal into opiate addict and eliminate physical cravings. It does absolutely nothing for the emotional need to get high/numb out.

Some addicts going through the motions of recovery on a Suboxone or Methadone Maintenance Program turn to other drugs and alcohol because they prefer being high, than not. Some sell/trade their prescribed Suboxone for heroin and go right back to where it all began.

There is no magic bullet that will cure him. He has to want recovery more than anything else and be willing to change his life and the way he views life and all the BS that comes with life.

Recovery is his job. Get out of the way.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree completely with outtolunch. Considering this is HIS recovery, you seem to have a lot of involvement in it.

I know you think you're helping, but it seems like he's using you as a crutch. I mean he's giving you control of his paychecks? So now you're responsible for his finances? That's a lot to put on you if things don't turn out the way he wants them to. It's just one more thing he can put on you and not on him.

If he can't deal with his own paychecks then that's his fault. And manipulating you into talking to him about his drugs? That's pretty far from wanting to recover. It sounds like just more ways to ensnare you into the cycle.

He said he wants you to leave, right? Maybe you should call his bluff. If he's like my mom, the addict in my life, he's going to be real willing to tell you to save yourself until you actually do. Then it'll be all about him again.