drug coctail, shd I worry?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drug coctail, shd I worry?

My hubby is addicted to pain meds...now he is mixing narco, lunesta, skelaxin and ativan and yes more than one at a time....after sleeping 3 hrs he is acting veryvery mellow and weird. Comments?

I HATE HOLIDAYS!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow... I don't know, but I can't imagine he should be mixing things like that. Are they prescription? Does a doctor know he's taking all these things at once? If they were all prescribed to him then I would think the doc would know how they would react with each other. Or the pharmacist even.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some things you should now about prescription drug abuse - if the addict cant get enough of what they want from one doc, they will go to TWO docs and get more of what they want. This is called Doctor Shopping. Or they will write or phone in more scrips for themselves, pretending to be the doc's assistant. This is called Prescription Fraud/Identity Theft (2 crimes in one). So just because you see prescription bottles w/ his name on it, doesnt mean it was properly prescribed. If you feel he's overdoesed, call 911.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you did worry, would that change anything?

He's doing what he's doing because he's an addict. You didn't cause his addiction, you can't control his addiction, and you can't cure it either.

What do you want for your life?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addiction is progressive. Addiction usually takes the whole family on a downward spiral.

Is your husband's addiction to pain pills acceptable to you?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skeetermag View Post
My hubby is addicted to pain meds...now he is mixing narco, lunesta, skelaxin and ativan and yes more than one at a time....after sleeping 3 hrs he is acting veryvery mellow and weird. Comments?

I HATE HOLIDAYS!!!
Yep - mixing drugs can be very dangerous; my AH ended up in the ER more than once. But what I would like to say is for you to be careful and take precautions for yourself - my experience was that my AH was soooooo not "himself" that I began to worry about my own safety and had to leave. Your husband may not be that bad....but I just wanted to mention that it is possible, so again, please be careful.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

My AH is addicted to pain meds.. he is on suboxone for the opiates but God only knows what else he is taking.. between abusing what the Dr is giving him and whatever else he is buying off the street he is pretty doped up most of the time and here lately sleeping seems to be his favortte hobby.. (I woke him up at 3.00 this afternoon so he could be at work at 4, probably should have let his sorry a@@ sleep but we need the money)

I used to lay awake at night and worry and as his wife I'm still concerned for his well being BUT I have come to accept that this is the way he is and this is what he does and until he decides to change and until he hits rock bottom nothing I say or do will make him do otherwise.. I have also accepted that a fatal overdoes is a very real posibility but again there is nothing I can do to prevent that from happening.. I have put him in my HP's hands know that he is better off there then for me to continue down the road of anxiety and worry..

What I just said may sound cruel to some people but it is the only way for me to detatch from his addiction and start living my life for me..
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Mixing drugs can have a synergistic effect, making one drug have a greater effect than if the same dose were taken alone. And, granted, everyone is different.

I believe it was reported that, when Heath Ledger died, he didn't have all that much of a single drug, but it was the combination of several drugs that killed him.