Language of Letting Go - July 2 - Who Knows Best?

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - July 2 - Who Knows Best?

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Who Knows Best?

Others do not know what's best for us.

We do not know what's best for others.

It is our job to determine what's best for ourselves.

"I know what you need." . . . "I know what you should do." . . . "Now listen, this is what I think you should be working on right now."

These are audacious statements, beliefs that take us away from how we operate on a spiritual plane of life. Each of us is given the ability to be able to discern and detect our own path, on a daily basis. This is not always easy. We may have to struggle to reach that quiet, still place.

Giving advice, making decisions for others, mapping out their strategy, is not our job. Nor is it their job to direct us. Even if we have a clean contract with someone to help us - such as in a sponsorship relationship - we cannot trust that others always know what is best for us. We are responsible for listening to the information that comes to us. We are responsible for asking for guidance and direction. But it is our responsibility to sift and sort through information, and then listen to ourselves about what is best for us. Nobody can know that but ourselves.

A great gift we can give to others is to be able to trust in them - that they have their own source of guidance and wisdom, that they have the ability to discern what is best for them and the right to find that path by making mistakes and learning.

To trust ourselves to be able to discover - through that same imperfect process of struggle, trial, and error - is a great gift we can give ourselves.

Today, I will remember that we are each given the gift of being able to discover what is best for ourselves. God, help me trust that gift.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today, I will remember that we are each given the gift of being able to discover what is best for ourselves. God, help me trust that gift.
Sharing our experience, strength and hope allows others to see what worked for us (and what didn't) and it is up to them to decide if they want what we have.

Telling them how to get it just isn't how it works. I am grateful that my sponsor showed me the path of recovery and then let me set my own course. To do less would have robbed me of all the lessons I needed to learn in order to grow in my recovery.

I learned that I couldn't fix anyone else and nobody else could fix me. We walk together on this path, sharing our light and our hearts, but each at our own pace.

Hugs
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ann View Post
a great gift we can give to others is to be able to trust in them - that they have their own source of guidance and wisdom, that they have the ability to discern what is best for them and the right to find that path by making mistakes and learning.

To trust ourselves to be able to discover - through that same imperfect process of struggle, trial, and error - is a great gift we can give ourselves.
+1