Language of Letting Go - June 26 - Surviving Slumps

Old 06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - June 26 - Surviving Slumps

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Surviving Slumps

A slump can go on for days. We feel sluggish, unfocused, and sometimes overwhelmed with feelings we can't sort out. We may not understand what is going on with us. Even our attempts to practice recovery behaviors may not appear to work. We still don't feel emotionally, mentally, and spiritually as good as we would like.

In a slump, we may find ourselves reverting instinctively to old patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving, even when we know better. We may find ourselves obsessing, even when we know that what we're doing is obsessing and that it doesn't work.

We may find ourselves looking frantically for other people to make us feel better, the whole time knowing our happiness and well being does not lay with others.

We may begin taking things personally that are not our issues, and reacting in ways we've learned all to well do not work.

We're in a slump. It won't last forever. These periods are normal, even necessary. These are the days to get through. These are the days to focus on recovery behaviors, whether or not the rewards occur immediately. These are sometimes the days to let ourselves be and love ourselves as much as we can.

We don't have to be ashamed, no matter how long we've been recovering. We don't have to unreasonably expect "more" from ourselves. We don't ever have to expect ourselves to live life perfectly.

Get through the slump. It will end. Sometimes, a slump can go on for days and then, in the course of an hour, we see ourselves pull out of it and feel better. Sometimes it can last a little longer.

Practice one recovery behavior in one small area, and begin to climb uphill. Soon, the slump will disappear. We can never judge where we will be tomorrow by where we are today.

Today, I will focus on practicing one recovery behavior on one of my issues, trusting that this practice will move me forward. I will remember that acceptance, gratitude, and detachment are a good place to begin.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It won't last forever. These periods are normal, even necessary. These are the days to get through. These are the days to focus on recovery behaviors, whether or not the rewards occur immediately. These are sometimes the days to let ourselves be and love ourselves as much as we can.

We don't have to be ashamed, no matter how long we've been recovering. We don't have to unreasonably expect "more" from ourselves. We don't ever have to expect ourselves to live life perfectly.
I try to post these readings often, and it's no coincidence that finding time today led me to reading exactly what I needed to read today.

When I can't see where I am going, when I don't know what lies ahead...this is the time I travel in blind faith. Life has taught me to trust the process, trust God and trust that I will be led to where I am supposed to be. Time has proven that true.

Hugs
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Surviving Slumps

We may begin taking things personally that are not our issues, and reacting in ways we've learned all to well do not work.

We're in a slump. It won't last forever. These periods are normal, even necessary. These are the days to get through. These are the days to focus on recovery behaviors, whether or not the rewards occur immediately. These are sometimes the days to let ourselves be and love ourselves as much as we can.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.

This is what I was supposed to read today.

I have been really upset with myself for the way I have been acting and reacting to situations for a couple of weeks now. I keep wondering - Why can't I get this right?

So maybe today I can just let go and love me for me. So I have screwed up, maybe tomorrow I won't. Or maybe tomorrow will be the day that I choose to deal with at least 1 part of what is wrong and make a good decision.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We learn the lessons as we are ready and not a moment before. But sometimes reading about them ahead of time helps us do better when the time comes to put them in place.

For me, I kept having to repeat the lesson until I got it right. Slow learner, I was, and stubborn too

Hugs
Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So timely. I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately and feeling like I can't take one more minute of all that is swirling around me. This helped me to focus and again say... one at a time... sometimes one minute, sometimes one day. It helps to remind me that you got into the slump, you can get out of the slump.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That hits the spot!
Thank you Ann so much for this today.
peace,
b
Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went through a slump last week - i have no idea why - sometimes its when things get quiet that it all hits me or its when i'm awfulizing the future. i hate the feeling - and its a hard thing for others to understand. when i'm in one i just need to be left alone. i think my daughter and my best friend are the only two people who actually get it (like instead of trying to talk me out of my mood or fix it they just give me chocolate - lol). there's just not always a reason but sometimes my soul just needs to take a recoupment period. i'm just glad to know i'm not the only one. thank you - cause honestly i thought i might be crazy.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like this one. I have felt as though I'm having my own slump lately. Overwhelming emotions and negative thoughts/feelings.

Today, I will focus on going through my recovery behaviors and try to have faith that things will all work out.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And Ann, thank you for having posted all of these.

I really love this book, and although I have my own copy, I like being able to bump your threads to share it with others because there is just so much good stuff in these readings.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you ann,
I really needed this today. I thought that I have been so good up until last week. I have been mourning the loss of my relationship/marriage. "the old days" Obsessing over what could have been, or what was... wanting to go back there. But i know better, knowing he has not done any work, "clean" or not. He can't stay clean in the same environment and not do any "work" I have been so lonely and depressed. Just wanting to crawl into bed and sleep for a couple of days.... I can't for my kids. Which is good I guess.
But then come the "why's" Why do I have to pick up the pieces, why do I have to be the strong one, why do I have to raise these kids by myself.....why do I have to be the responsible one? ALONE!!
Not in the best place right now. And like it said above... not sure how I got here. I have been like a freight train moving forward..... and now... It's dark and lonely....
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This post helped me today
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Really enjoying the excerpts from this book, Ann Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me too! I am OBSESSING today since JJ is soon to be placed in rehab and the anxiety and excitement are driving me crazy! I went down into overkill on trying to control what is not mine to control. God's timing, not MINE.
Thanks Ann and thanks for bumping this one today DGO!