Courts and forced treatment

Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Courts and forced treatment

Hi. I am originally from Mass, and way back when, I was using, and abusing, I was committed to rehab per the courts, under something called Section 33. A crime didnt have to be committed, just that if a family member felt their loved one was going to hurt themselves or someone else....the court could force them to rehab.

I'm wondering if all states have this?

If I go to court and file for separation, and state one of the reasons I want this, is that he is abusing his legal drugs, would this allow me to stay here and for him to be forced to leave and get help. We both own this house and dont want to take it away from him...just looking at ideas to get him better. He will not leave on his own. It's not like it is on tv where the wife says get out, and the husband leaves with his suitcase. My hubby is very stubborn, he put $30 grand into this place and he's staying...thats the deal.

Any ideas on committed spouses to treatment? Any thoughts?

The alanon meetings sound good, and getting a sponsor. Are there any sponsors on here? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been trying to get my H out for a long time..We rent and both names are on the lease..We both went into metadone treatment..The thing is I have been clean while he still steals from my purse and bank account and he also steal prescriptions from other people when he can..He will do anything to get pills..I live in Canada and cant afford firs and last months rent to move out on my own and I also still have 2 teenagers at home with me and cant leave them either.My H is to damn stubborn to just leave so I guess I am stuck with him for now..Sure makes it all that much harder to stay clean....
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I am continuing to do research on this matter...so thanks for the input.
Turkstragal, I feel for you, must be very difficult for you, if what he is using, is his drug of choice. But you are in charge of your recovery. Every morning, I am so grateful that I am not a slave to a drug..I know I need help in a lot of areas, but Im not using and the smartest thing I have done in the last several years, it not to pick up again! Stand strong,

Is he on your bank account? I took my name off as when my husband is high on ritalin, he likes to order online. He was getting very careless and I kept waking up not knowing what he ordered and if I would have a negative balance in my account...didnt happen, before I removed my name, but not sure what has happened since. I feel much better now.

What a terrible disease.....Ive lived it and now witnessing it.
Take care all.