Trying to change other people

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to change other people

This is a recurring problem for me and I realize on a "head" level that it just doesn't ever work. This is a daily reading that I got from Hazelden this morning and it reminded me how I need to stay out of other people's choices and business....

What I said never changed anybody; what they understood did.
--Paul. P.

How often have we given our all to change somebody else? How frantically have we tried to force a loved one to see the light? How hopelessly have we watched a destructive pattern - perhaps a pattern we know well from personal experience - bring terrible pain to someone who is dear to us?

All of us have.

We would do anything to save the people we love. In our desperation, we imagine that if we say just the right words in just the right way, our loved ones will understand.

If change happens, we think our efforts have succeeded.

If change doesn't happen, we think our efforts have failed. But neither is true. Even our best efforts don't have the power to change someone else. Nor do we have that responsibility. People are only persuaded by what they understand. And they, as we, can understand a deeper truth only when it is their time to grow toward deeper understanding. Not before.

Today, I will focus on changing myself and entrust those I love to the Higher Power who loves them even more than I do.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is what I have been thinking about all week as I have spent all my time, energy and not to mention money trying to change someone else. What have I accomplished besides having no time to my self, being so tired that I have to drag myself out of bed and having no money to get the things THAT I WANT!!! I really changed things for my loved one didn't I? I would LOL, but its just not funny.

Thanks for the post and reminder.

Gotahavfaith
Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exclamation So true! Wished i could learn to master changing myself.

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post

How often have we given our all to change somebody else? How frantically have we tried to force a loved one to see the light? How hopelessly have we watched a destructive pattern - perhaps a pattern we know well from personal experience - bring terrible pain to someone who is dear to us?
We would do anything to save the people we love. In our desperation, we imagine that if we say just the right words in just the right way, our loved ones will understand.

Yep=i keep hearing that i have to work on me, i keep seeing that the more i work on me i can just stop the worryin bout things i cannot control--ie husband/addiction/recovery. However, i am beginning to believe in the power of prayer and in the infinite power of the Lord! If its his will he can change peoples hearts and minds. I pray that The Lord will put his arms around my husband and give him the wisdom he needs to live after rehab.

Yvonne
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Brand New Life

I am starting to realize that being positive with myself and everything around me and being smart about how I observe things from a "live and let live" approach, it sure is a heck of a lot less stressful. I also focus on what I can control, my representation of what good is and hopefully someone will catch the contagious glow. I have also learned to act silly and have fun at times to remind myself that life doesn't always have to be so serious all the time. The laughter with my little one is a cure for worry any day.