Progress - The Safety Deposit Box

Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Progress - The Safety Deposit Box

Things have slowly been getting better for me (mentaly/physically) since leaving my ex-aficance. Although I was dreading moving back to my parents home while I get on my feet, it has actually been extremely cathartic.

I made a huge step for myself mentally today...

1.) I had a YEAR's worth of old receipts, paperwork, and tax stuff (15-20 pounds) of which I put into a black plastic hefty back and shoved to the back of the closet. I just couldn't deal with it, the amount of crap that I needed to destroy-shred was overwhelming, and I've ignored the bag for 2 months. Today I finally got rid of it all. Felt really great.

2.) Ever since October 2006, the first time I realized that my ex-afiance was an "addict who steals my stuff", all of my valuables (jewelry, checks, personal items, car titles, etc etc) has been in a safety deposit box at the bank. When it first occurred in 2006, I whipped thru my home like it was on fire, thowing everything of value into a bag and took it to the bank. Until I moved back to my parents home in another state, I hadn't really looked in the safety deposit box except when I had to get a birth certificate or something. I have worn no jewerly since that day. None. I was afraid to buy anything special for fear that it would be pawned. The only thing that I left out was my iPod (which he did pawn this year), so my decision to keep everthing in a monstrously (embarrassingly) HUGE box at the bank continued to be affirmed over the years. +++But today I finally emptied the contents and began to rediscover all the precious (sentimental and $$) that I hadn't seen in almost 3 years! Necklaces that took me 3 hours to untangle, rings, my dead grandmothers' letters and prayer rosary. Religious items from my gradfather. Wow.

It was really a Reality Check for me. Realizing that I hadn't even seen these things in 3 years. Beautiful memories, tucked away. I realized that I had been living with so much fear of being stolen from, my "tangible" memories gone, that a wave of relief washed over me as I was able to look at them again without being afraid that I have to "hide" them again before discovery. I feel very relieved today.

I guess I wanted to share this story, because I know that, like me, many of you are living daily with the fear of theft by a loved one. I had become so conditioned to accept that it was "normal" to live with this "fact of life". I accepted it as part of my life. I allowed it. Permitted it. Became numb to life any other way. Today I realized that by permitting this addict to be a part of my life, I also accepted the awful behavior that comes along with that choice: welcoming a thief into my home and into my bed. This is no longer acceptable behavior to me....

Right now, I am wearing earrings, a butterfly necklace, a ring, a bracelet, and a watch... and I feel terrific!! I plan to leave them next to the bedside table when I go to bed, and I'm sure they will be in the exact same place I left them when I wake up tomorrow morning!!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right now, I am wearing earrings, a butterfly necklace, a ring, a bracelet, and a watch... and I feel terrific!! I plan to leave them next to the bedside table when I go to bed, and I'm sure they will be in the exact same place I left them when I wake up tomorrow morning!!

I can totally relate to this (as I'm sure everyone here can). My son is currently in rehab and I no longer have to sleep with my car keys etc. under my pillow. There was only so much stuff one could stuff under a pillow and still be able to sleep.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

such,
your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so proud of you and happy for you! You have your memories back and they're safe!!!
I bet you're beautiful with all those sparklies on!
Love,
Holly
Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WOW. that is such an incredible share. I can completely relate to it. The physical things are so pertinent - having them locked away and so on . It just mirrors what we are also doing with our emotional selves, while we cope with addiction : so clear it screams at ya. Itha made me shake reading.
well done , you are beautiful now you are out of the deposit box .
Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Beautiful share.