Help ID White Powder

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help ID White Powder

I have a co-worker that is a recovering Heroin addict; he is currently taking Suboxone. Several times I have run across suspicious looking paraphenelia such as small glass vials and pen casings. There is always a likely story about the objects.

Just yesterday, I found a bottle with some white powder in it, along w/ a pen casing on his desk. I managed to take some of the powder undetected.

Now, I would like to know how to test this.

Friend says he is/will take drug test any time. I am guessing if he is using something, it will be masked by the Suboxone (which is supposed to be there).

Any ideas of what to test for and where to find information on testing the substance?

AW
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really can't tell you how to test it, but why are you doing this? How is his using affecting your life? Sorry it just seems strange to go so far as to taking some of the powder of a co-worker.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's a long story behind this, but the quick version...I'm in love with him. Neither of us is totally free right now to have a relationship. One day soon though, if we make it.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First, let me say WELCOME to SR. You have found a great site!

Several times I have run across suspicious looking paraphenelia such as small glass vials and pen casings. There is always a likely story about the objects.
I'm in love with him. Neither of us is totally free right now to have a relationship. One day soon though, if we make it.
Please read ALL the "sticky's" at the top of the forum.

Just on what you have posted, I personally would say RUN, RUN AS FAST AND AS FAR AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM THIS PERSON. What you are finding is NOT the signs of someone IN RECOVERY.

When you get done with "the stickys", please read as many threads as you can. You are heading into a VERY horrendous ROLLE COASTER ride. There are no 'guarantees' with an addict. H*ll I've been sober and clean many many years and there is still no guarantee.

If your friend is taking Suboxone then he is in 'early recovery' and if he is serious about his recovery, would already know that getting into a relationship is a NO NO. All his time will be spent on his recovery. There is a lot more to recovery than just stopping the usage of the DOC.

J M H O

Please, please do lots of reading. Your 'love' cannot FIX him, cannot keep him clean, and cannot change him.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will do some reading tonight...thanks.

I actually wasn't rummaging, it was right on his desk...I think he left unexpectedly & didn't think anyone was around. It was the weekend & I happened to stop by.

I don't expect to change him...I get that. I just want to know if he's lying, before I put on my running shoes.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could be all wrong, but I'm guessing that the reason he is not free to be in a relationship with you is because he is involved with someone else, at the moment.

If he presently is involved with someone else and is hinting that the two of you could possibly hook-up ~ he is already showing that he may not be as truthful and trustworthy as you would like.

I'd sure think about this long and hard.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI... welcome to SR.

Suboxone won't mask anything in a drug test. If you want to drug test him - use a 10 panel drug test. BUT .... before you do this - be sure to have plans should the test be positive. Meaning - what next ???

Being in love with an addict can literally make you crazy.

Don't know how to check what the powder is - but I would definitely not carry it around with you.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by AliceWonderland View Post
I will do some reading tonight...thanks.

I actually wasn't rummaging, it was right on his desk...I think he left unexpectedly & didn't think anyone was around. It was the weekend & I happened to stop by.

I don't expect to change him...I get that. I just want to know if he's lying, before I put on my running shoes.
Not sure what you are looking for lies about.

Anyone snorting anything is toxic.

Not a good thing.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing here.

JMO....

Good luck to you.

******...}}}
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Neither of us is totally free right now to have a relationship. One day soon though, if we make it.
I hope you are not leaving one bad relationship to jump right into another one.

No such thing as a sure bet.... but a glass vial with white powder and a pen casing is about as close as you are gonna get.

I'd be lacing up my running shoes!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take it to the police station. I have taken my daughter's white powder to the police station and they have a kit that will id it immediately. There were no repercussions and were more than willing to help a concerned mom. You could say you think a teenager is using this and could they help you out.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Marlie View Post
Take it to the police station. I have taken my daughter's white powder to the police station and they have a kit that will id it immediately. There were no repercussions and were more than willing to help a concerned mom. You could say you think a teenager is using this and could they help you out.
(((Marlie)))

But she's not a concerned Mom. She's considering having a relationship with this person. Going to the cops lying to them?

That is kind of toxic behavior, starting off a relationship by lying to cops about drugs?

Sorry but I see so many red flags and insanity in this it is scary.

This is that point where you make choices, if someone continues with type of stuff, it's not the addict who brings someone down, it's themselves.

I'm Not trying to be mean here, but ....... lying to cops, checking white powder in pen caps. I used to do meth and got out of it because of this type of insanity. You may not realize how deep this stuff goes.

I hope you really take a step back and listen to what some of the people on here and said and read the stickies.

All the Best to you,
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I always liked Ann Landers' advice in situations such as this....MYOB.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Regardless of what the powder is, it resembles an illegal drug so the cops can and will bust anyone that has it in their possession...including you.
Also, I agree w/ what someone said that regardless of what the powder is, if he is snorting it (and he is, that's what the pen is for), its toxic and its nothing you want to be around!
Healthy people don't snort ANYTHING with straws or pens...bottom line.
People in recovery don't snort ANYTHING with straws or pens...bottom line!
I'm not sure why you want to go any farther with him, you can't help him and he's very sick.
RUN GIRL RUN!

J M O

Last edited by breakingfree88; 06-15-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add a line (no pun intended! LOL)
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Optimist

I posted this response on the Substance Abuse board, too, but wanted to be sure you saw it, so here I go again...

Hi Alice,

I can't help with identifying your powder, nor can I give you advice about the legality of what you're doing. I usually avoid getting involved with discussion regarding other peoples relationships, all I can do is offer you my experience and opinions and hope that you know that they are coming from my heart...

Relatively recently I discovered my husband is addicted to heroin. He has been clean now for 3.5 weeks. My entire life has been turned upside down. If you read around some of the boards, especially the Friends & Family board, you will see that I have had a REALLY easy time of it compared to many others in similar situations. We have been together for 16 years, and have two beautiful children who we love more than life itself, and we are deeply in love, which is why I am still with him, supporting him with his struggle. I would NEVER have chosen to have this happen. If I could have seen the future when we met and known that he would become addicted to heroin and we would have to go through this, I probably would've run really far and fast in the opposite direction. I love my husband, and I take my vows of "for better or for worse" very seriously, but if you are not actively in a relationship with this person, you should definitely read a lot of what others have to say here on SR and think long and hard about whether you want to involve yourself in the realities of living life with a person struggling with an addiction.

Wishing you a peaceful and serene future,
Daisy
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You don't need to take a kilo of white powder to the police station for drug testing. All they need is about the amount that would fit on the end of a match stick. I have done this several times and have not been arrested for possessing an illegal substance. Seriously, in my case it was about my daughter but I could have just as easily said I found the stuff on my friend and was concerned. Walk into the police station dressed in nice clothing and they don't just arrest a concerned citizen, friend, or parent.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
On a tear

I've learned to trust my gut... if it feels fishy, I treat it as if it is.

Doesn't matter if my kid is fiending, using, coming down, in relapse or in recovery.... if she is lying, it doesn't matter how big the lie - others will follow.

Believe in what you already know.

Addicts are so damned attractive, to me, anyway, because they appear to be everything I cannot be. Carefree, risk-takers, michevious, humorous, spontaneous....

But when taken to the nth degree, those same attributes turn into careless, risky, mean, sarcastic and unreliable.

Look beneath the charm, not only here, but in all relationships. I wish you well. ((hugs))
Old 06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery!

I would suggest that you do not get involved with someone who is so early in recovery. The recovery process from drugs is a very difficult process. It involves a lot of time and work for the person to be in recovery. When they are recovering from opiates, they have to deal with a lot of new emotions. They aren't used to having to deal with their emotions--rather than deal with them, they take drugs to numb themselves. My ABF of 12 years is in early recovery from pain pills. It has been a very difficult process for him. My ABF also took Suboxone. It is not a magic pill. They still have a lot of work to do if they are to get off the drugs.

Also, be aware that people can abuse drugs while on Suboxone. They will take the Suboxone for a break from the drugs, and then go back to the drugs.

There is a lot of great info on this website, and a lot of info on codependency and on drug/alcohol addiction.