NA question

Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA question

I found another site for NA that shows A LOT of meetings here... but they werent listed as either open or closed so I didnt know which I could attend.
I called a phone number on the site to find out and was told by someone that the NA meetings were for addicts only and he gave me the phone number for a local nar anon group. They only meet once a week.

Did I misunderstand when reading others posts on attending meetings... I thought that I had read that if it was an open meeting it was open to family & friends of addicts. Am I wrong?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nar-anon or Al-anon is for families and friends of addicts. If you want a support group to help you then attend one of these meetings. You can also attend open NA or AA meetings (which are for the substance abuser) in order to see life from the other side and see addicts that have good recovery under their belts. Hope that helps. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like that particular NA group has all closed meetings.

As Marle suggested, Alanon or Naranon would be a great source of support for you. We don't have either in the tiny town I live in, so consider yourself blessed there is one available!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it just sucks because they only have it late at night (8 15)... alternating day & night meetings would be nice.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the problem with attending open NA and AA meetings regularly and working your program there is that you would not be able to find a sponsor. I've learned a lot of good hard core recovery in AA meetings and it does help to understand addiction a whole lot better.

However, my real work has been in the rooms of the anon side. I have more trouble over living life/other people than I do any other substances.