? about codependency

Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winnie12 View Post
We will know we have our true identity when we act the exact same way no matter where we are or who we are with (you know how you can have a different personality around your parents/friends/employer/etc)
I read this just before going out of town for a weekend jaunt. It stayed in my mind and I remembered it when I had to spend some alone time with someone I don't know all that well. We have some interests in common but even more things that aren't. I found myself agreeing with this guy on a few things I normally wouldn't, and that's when I remembered this post. None of it was serious stuff, just casual conversation, but I had to stop myself and backtrack, tell him "I don't know why I just agreed with you about..."

But I knew why. It's because I'm codie. It was easier to go with HIS flow than stay with my own. Once I stayed true to myself, it was actually kind of fun to discover all the differences and embrace them. This was probably the first real test to my recovery and after a little slip, I sailed on.

I say the first real test because it didn't involve stress, enabling or drugs, it was just me and breaking an old bad habit.

Thanks for the reminder, winnie. The timing was perfect
Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hmmmmm....I'm diabetic and codependent.....so does that make me inhuman to you? I'm not bothered by these words at all.

I refer to myself as diabetic but only when someone notices what I am doing at meal times. I don't consider it anyone esle's business except when I'm out to eat with folks and the "needle play" begins (testing the blood sugar, excusing myself to take a shot). Certainly I don't introduce myself to people I'm just meeting as "Hi, I'm HG, and I'm a diabetic." People just find out in time, and by then they realize that I can do anything they can physically and intellectually.

Also, just my two cents.....

((((Suspicious)))) I feel as though I display codependent characteristics in all of my relationships because the common denominator is ME. I'm not sure if I LOOK for people with whom my codepdent nature can thrive, perhaps I do. But the majority of people in my life are NOT addicts. I'm glad you have ordered the books! Good luck with your quest and your recovery!

Hugs, HG
Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Optimist

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Hmmmmm....I'm diabetic and codependent.....so does that make me inhuman to you?
You know, I was trying to be thoughtful and tactful towards all people's feelings, but since my consideration towards others seems to have irritated so many people, I won't bother anymore.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Daisy - just a sore subject for me being the mom of a diabetic - there's a lot of misconceptions. People compare addiction to diabetes (not that you were) - many here have heard me rant on that subject.