Relapse or Recover???

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse or Recover???

Does anyone know the statistics of opiate relapse versus opiate recovery?

Opiates meaning, heroin,percocets,vicodins,lortab,oxycontin,roxys.

And crack/cocaine relapse versus a successful recovery.

10 years ago someone told me that only 1 in 100 made it.
When it came to opiates. I don't know how true this is.

I know nothing about crack
because I have never used it, and just never discussed it.

I was wondering if the successful recovery percentage has gone up or down
in the past ten years. Or if that was even an accurate answer to begin with.

Can anyone give me an accurate answer?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here you go:

Google

Start reading, lol Just remember, 'statistics' can pretty much be skewered to say whatever the writer wants them to say.

I M H O statistics don't mean a thing. It is up to the individual, each individaul who has to decide for themselves if they are "sick and tired of being sick and tired."

Recovery is for those that WANT it, not necessarily those that NEED it, unfortunately.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Would add, there was a survey a while back regarding AA's success rate. "Rarely have we seen a person fail that has thoroughly followed our path" The author of the intro to the survey findings made the comment, the success rate at AA was pretty high among those that actually worked the program, would be willing to bet the same could be said of NA members that did likewise.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Just remember, 'statistics' can pretty much be skewered to say whatever the writer wants them to say.

I M H O statistics don't mean a thing. It is up to the individual, each individaul who has to decide for themselves if they are "sick and tired of being sick and tired."
I agree. I have a 100% success rate in my life today, and that's all that counts.

I abused everything I could get my hands on-started off on heroin, then to prescription opiates (that was socially acceptable when you're married, don't you know?).

Alcohol was always in the picture. Then I discovered crystal meth and that was the beginning of the end for me. I went down hard and fast, and hit my bottom in a heap of flames.

The only pertinent statistic for me is my success rate.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always wonder, how do they GET these statisctics? They've never asked me, Tess, or Hank...that's 3 recovering crack addicts, right there. That's certainly not a phenomenal amount, but back when I was in IOP, going to meetings, and surrounded by recovering people, I NEVER talked to anyone who was knowingly part of a statistic.

Some cops who eat in the restaurant I work at told me "you know you're blessed, right? Most people just don't recover from smoking crack". I'm not "most people"

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I always wonder, how do they GET these statisctics?
When I asked that same question that's when I quit paying attention to statistics
Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so concerned, for I know my son sniffed heroin, and smoked crack.
He says he only did crack about 10 times and that it wasn't his drug of choice. And the heroin was only for 3 months, but he was addicted to sniffing/snorting. But who knows if he is lying or not.

I was just trying to figure out if he is going to get past all of this, and what the statistics are. But, for today he is clean, and I am thankful for that. He is still in treatment, so I don't know what will happen when he is out and about. I do know that I am powerless. I don't know that much about either drug, so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

To all who have replied to my post, I would like to thank you.

Laurie, thanks for google. There's alot of info on there.

Cynical, I can always rely on you, even though the numbers are low,
at least you sent them. Thank You

Anvil, what can I say, You and Mr.Hank are extroadinary.
I'm so glad you put that addiction to bed. I'm proud of you two.

Sailor John, Thanks so much for the upbeat attitude and the very positive reinforcement. It gives me alot of hope when I hear it that way.

Freedom, Wow, your a Miracle. When I read about all of the things you have been through, and then I realize where you are today. Your amazing.
Keep moving in the right direction.

Impurrfect You are Unique, and not anything like Most People.
I'm glad you cleaned up, and are doing well.

Chino, Thank You for making me realize, that statistics really don't mean much. I know it's up to the individual. It's just that this individual is my boy.
That's what makes it tough for me. Mom's always worry. It's our job.

Thank You all for posting.
I am very thankful for all of you
:ghug
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here is what I tell people who ask me (lots of people ask me) what are the chances of an opiate (or any other) addict getting clean:

Chances:
If you are relying on someone else to get clean: 2: fat chance and slim chance!
If you are trying to get clean yourself: 100% chance, as long as you really work it!

This is because recovery is not about stats or luck or chances. It isn't like cancer, where we can reduce it to life expectancy and rate of recovery based on clinical data. Where we as "others" can do "stuff" to people, like give them chemo and medicine, and make them all better. We can't do much for addicts as outsiders except put them in Gods' hands. It is based almost solely on effort expended and method chosen. If you choose a good method (IMO, 12 step-based recovery coupled with medical help) and work it for all you're worth, you will recover. If you don't, you won't, and it won't matter what we do to help you.

Love,
KJ
Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelic17 View Post
I was just trying to figure out if he is going to get past all of this, and what the statistics are.
That's crazy-making thinking for me.

Only God knows what the plan is for him. Only God knows what the plan is for my oldest AD. I don't try to second-guess, hope, or project.

I live in the moment because in reality, that's all I really have.

There are no guarantees for tomorrow. If you have one foot in the past, and one foot in the future, you're in perfect position to p*ss all over today.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Re: what sailor said:

I heard that near the end of his life when BillW was asked if he would change anything he wrote in the Big Book, he picked out only that very sentence.

And he said he would have changed "Rarely" to "NEVER".

If the steps were worked thoroughly.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was just trying to figure out if he is going to get past all of this, and what the statistics are

Sadly there is no formula and this kind of concern and worry about the uncontrollable caused me to miss out on many beautiful days. I'm so glad recovery has changed that for me and I am usually able to stay in today. Future-tripping can suck joy and energy right out of us; I'm glad you are finding gratitude for what is today. Hugs.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your all so knowledgeable. I know that living in the moment is the smartest thing I can do. For today my son is alright. But I have to admit, I'm scared. I would be lying if I said I wasn't. He will be out of Rehab in 3 weeks. He's been there for a few months, and this is the first program out of 5 tries, that he has finished. He is doing really well. I know that I should be thankful for today, and not to worry about tomorrow until it gets here. But I'm a mother. He is my one and only son, and I am concerned. I am going to follow your advice, and as Freedom would say,I'm going to keep both of my feet in today. I don't want to ruin the day. I still have 3 weeks of peace, knowing he is alright and safe.
This has hurt me so much, I am wondering when I will get to the point where I don't care anymore. Thank you all so much for your response. I am grateful.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
The thing with statistics and recovery is , and why it really doesn’t mean a thing is: What is the definition of “success”?

How long before recovery is considered successful? Is it 6 months, 3 years, 5 years, 10…20…until they die?

What if someone is sober 10 years and then goes back out…were those 10 years to be ignored?

What if someone is sober from their DOC for years…but then drinks…success or not?

Are these statistics gathered from users, hospitals, rehabs, the criminal justice system, insurance companies, the general public? Does the control group have any personal interest in the results?

I read something recently that said there were over 3.5 million people who have used crack in the past year…who are they asking? Not me, not anyone I know.

Statistics are just a number that can be manipulated in many ways to suit whatever purpose you are trying to fill.

Cynical, your so right. My oldest brother was clean for 6 years, he relapsed and died. His birthday would be May 14. He is dead 11 years. I dreamt of him and my son last night. My brother and my son were both very young in my dream. My brother was holding my baby son in his lap. It was weird. I was trying to avoid him in my dream cause he was on drugs, and he was following me so he could hold my baby. He came next to me and grabbed my son out of my arms. He was showing affection and love to my son in the dream.

I know that everybody is different. For today my son is well, and clean, and sounds like he wants to stay that way. But, I do know how cunning addiction is. It sneaks up on you like a snake. I think I need dream interpretation.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The statistics were something that I needed to know too. You know why they did me good? I think that I used the statistics to fuel my own recovery. For that end I'm grateful. I knew that if the stats were that low for my husband then I had better do whatever I could to grow and learn. I'm glad that I knew the statistics because they scared me enough to really work on myself...something that I have never regreted.

No matter how low recovery rates are it doesn't mean anything on an individual basis...everyone has the potential to recover.

My husband was as low bottom of an addict as you can get...he used everything he could get his hands on but his main DOC was crack...which he used for 20 years. Everyone thought that he was "done for" and hopeless. He has surprised everyone and is coming up on 4 years clean from everything. He worked a program for the first year, played at going to meetings for another year, and then has done little ever since. Lately he has been going and sitting in Alanon meetings once a week. It seems like he finds his spirituality in nature - his rose bushes, garden, and koi pond. Who knows if he will stay clean - but today he is. More importantly - I'm managing my own life and focusing on remaining emotionally sober. That's been as tough a road as his not using crack!

I believe that any time spent in recovery (even if there are slips or relapses) is a trail head to doing it again. I've seen lots of addicts relapse and come back in. My husband went to 5 in patient rehabs and numerous outpt treatments. They never "took" until the day that they did. I never discount that information seeps in that sets you up for the future.

I'm glad that your son is well and clean. Prayers are with you.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting post!
Every single person heroin addict I know has come to recovery on their own without treatment and have been much more successful than the alcoholics who have come in and gone out! That's what I see. As far as treatment statistics...probably not very accurate.
People do recovery from heroin and enjoy their lives tremendously!
~cheryl
Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There was a tiime when I sought out the stats, looking for the odds of my daughter recovering. In order to be counted, one has to be involved in some kind of program that does follow-up, usually 2-5 years. This assumes that the addict is going to be honest, when responoding. This does not include the overwhelming number of people who get and stay clean, without the benefit of a formal program.

The stats are darn useless as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just adding my two cents. I was at a meeting last night (First one, Woo Who) they said 17% come out of rehab and stay clean. I agree you really can't tell. I know how worried you are. I am worried also, but your son went in on his own (that speaks volumes) he has a wonderful mother and family backing him up. He is going to make it. Julie
Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I always wonder, how do they GET these statisctics? They've never asked me, Tess, or Hank...that's 3 recovering crack addicts, right there

I feel the same way and I have 3 years clean now. And if I relapsed 5 years from now, would that completely screw up or support the statistics? There's too much unknown in the statistics to be reliable or meaningful when applied to an individual.

Recovery requires work. But first you have to want to stay clean. Then you have to deal with all the demons that drove you to use in the first place. Using drugs is a coping mechanism, and until an addict changes underlying behavior, they don't have much of a chance to stay clean for the rest of their lives. It will always be a struggle for some. Some unfortunately, choose not to engage in the struggle.

Some may get clean, and stay clean, but still never recover from their addiction, if you know what I mean.

That's why focusing on ourselves and our behaviors is what is really important. It's hard not to worry about a loved one. But it's key to remember that worry isn't going to fix anything and statistics mean nothing on an individual level. There is always hope. And there is always hopeless.

Do what makes your life meaningful and makes you successful. Then, whether your addict recovers or not, you won't have wasted your life because of someone elses inability to commit to dealing with life on lifes terms.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks H-K. Needed to hear that today.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank You all very much for your time, your knowledge, and your support.
I know that I shouldn't waste my life worrying about my sons addiction,
but he's my boy, and I do. I let go, and then for some reason, I always take it back.
I have to disconnect myself from him.

On a happier note, his counselor called today,
He said that my son is doing remarkably well
He also mentioned that he is helping the addicts
that are new in treatment, and is a great role model.

He is doing everything he is supposed to do,
and all that is needed to recover.

I am happy with that.
So I am going to live in the moment

All of you great people have helped me
to see, what I need to do for me.

Thank You Very Much,